Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Rotella 15/40?? Right choice? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/rotella-15-40-right-choice-59215/)

Charlie_V 05-19-2013 11:09 AM

Rotella 15/40?? Right choice?

All,

I have been using Rotella 15w40 based on recommendations for the last three changes. I have a slight ticking that I would like to chase down (stethescope points to somewhere under the valve cover), probably when I rebuild the top end. I have been using 15w40 Rotella, and have been very pleased--the first change (with only 1000 miles) it came out black. The second, it looked like dark honey (3,000 more miles). The third it came out looking almost new (4,000 more miles). I inferred that it was doing some cleaning, and that is the main reason I used it on the newly installed (but not new) engine. So, now I am getting into a routine and want to pick a permanent oil, and wonder whether I need to change.

I have a very minor leak... doesn't even show up on the pavement, but I see a drop on the bottom of the bell housing, probably from the rear main seal that I installed with my engine a few months ago. Am I right to assume that thinner oil would make that leak worse? I really don't EVER want to pull the engine again. I am so pissed at myself because I watched an acquaintance (big rig mechanic) seat the rear main seal with a PAINT CAN and I had an extra seal right next to me. Never again. I now have the right kit to seat seals, but clearly too late.

I live in Texas and it gets pretty hot (90 today, and up to about 110 max where I live), but doesn't get very cold. Anyone think I am doing any harm by using 15/40 instead of my standby 10/30? My 2000 DII has about 115K on it. The Rotella is cheap and I use it in a diesel too, so I like the convenience and price but I am growing very attached to my Disco II and don't want to do any harm. The ticking seems a little more subdued with the rotella.

I use whatever filter I can find when I change the oil. It has Fram on it now, but that's not what I normally get.

Thanks,

Savannah Buzz 05-19-2013 11:14 AM

The Rotella 15W40 is a great oil for your area.

The extra ZDDP in it is good for the flat tappet old school engine. The diesel rated formula keeps more particle in suspenson (soot control) so the filter can trap it.

The FRAM filter is something you pay more for ads than filter. The Purolator, WIX, and Baldwin guys make top notch better filters. A jumbo filter can add almost a quart of oil capacity.

You will note from the engine oil charts in the RAVE that Rover only advises 30 weight to 95F local temp.

Charlie_V 05-19-2013 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 399164)
The Rotella 15W40 is a great oil for your area.

The extra ZDDP in it is good for the flat tappet old school engine. The diesel rated formula keeps more particle in suspenson (soot control) so the filter can trap it.

The FRAM filter is something you pay more for ads than filter. The Purolator, WIX, and Baldwin guys make top notch better filters. A jumbo filter can add almost a quart of oil capacity.

You will note from the engine oil charts in the RAVE that Rover only advises 30 weight to 95F local temp.

Savannah,

Again, you know exactly what I need to know. You really saved my bacon with your advice regarding the "chirp" from my driveshaft.

I usually use WIX, but I haven't been able to find any oversize filter locally. Is there one (oversize), that you think is better than another?

The only thing I like about the Fram is that I can change the filter without a tool... very minor advantage and one I am easily ready to abandon.

Best,

Charlie_V 05-19-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie_V (Post 399168)
Savannah,

Again, you know exactly what I need to know. You really saved my bacon with your advice regarding the "chirp" from my driveshaft.

I usually use WIX, but I haven't been able to find any oversize filter locally. Is there one (oversize), that you think is better than another?

The only thing I like about the Fram is that I can change the filter without a tool... very minor advantage and one I am easily ready to abandon.

Best,

Just caught the RAVE reference. My dealership, which I have almost forgotten (DALLAS, where I bout my Disco new in September 2000) is USELESS. They were very specific, since I lived so far away (they had to flatbed my rover about 200 miles while it was under warranty... haha they didn't like that), in recommending 10/30. Idiots.

Best,

Savannah Buzz 05-19-2013 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...hlight=Baldwin for some filter info. You may be able to order on line for small quantity, that way you have on hand when conditions are right for Rover wrenching (SWMBO gone, task list sticky note stuck to the bottom of her purse, etc.). The plus is changing oil and filter early and often, like voting in Chicago. Buying high dollar filters and syn oil is not good if you extend the drain interval. I saw in a Rover manual somewhere that under very arduous conditions oil might have to be changed daily....

White Shepherd oil treatment can help on seal leaks, also the PCV system needs to be clean (both sides) or it can make pressure from oil fumes and vent thru seals.

Charlie_V 05-19-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 399171)
See [URL]The plus is changing oil and filter early and often, like voting in Chicago. Buying high dollar filters and syn oil is not good if you extend the drain interval. I saw in a Rover manual somewhere that under very arduous conditions oil might have to be changed daily....

White Shepherd oil treatment can help on seal leaks, also the PCV system needs to be clean (both sides) or it can make pressure from oil fumes and vent thru seals.

Good suggestions all, and I will blindly follow each after you saved my transmission, transfer case, floor pan, cross member, pride, and no telling what else. And funny re Chicago! Or it would be if it was a JOKE... haha. Thanks again!

Savannah Buzz 05-19-2013 04:41 PM

Do not follow anyone unless you are on the same trail. Use their input and check things out for yourself.

Rover_Hokie 05-19-2013 11:15 PM

I have seen the PCV system that consist of the "oil cleaner" spiral plastic piece in the tube come up from the valve cover on the passenger side of a LH driver D2. But must of missed that there was another one. Is it in a similar location and with same "oil cleaner" piece in a tube coming up from the driver's side valve cover?

Street Wolf 05-19-2013 11:28 PM

Rotella 15w-40(Best) or Castrol 10w-40 with Mobil1 1-301(Best) or K&N 3001 filters

/end story

Savannah Buzz 05-20-2013 12:30 AM

Driver side PCV line does not have the filter. Normally filtered air from the throttle body is drawn thru the engine, picks up oil fumes, and out the passenger side valve cover and "oil separator" to intake manifold. Under some conditon flow reverses, and driver side valve cover vents oil fumes into throttle body.