Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery and K&N

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery and K&N

Is this the best way to go, drop in replacement. I dont know if there are other ways to change the air intake without causing concern with water getting into it.

Right off... I am amature to cars in general. But i'm reading up on parts and hoping to become very in tune with my land rover. I will search my questions before posting. And tomarrow will go into the instruction and post pictures and introduce myself.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Discovery and K&N

DO NOT USE A K&N AIR FILTER ON A LAND ROVER!!!!! YOU WILL KILL THE MAF SENSOR!!!!
K&N air filters do not work on Rovers to improve HP, Rovers are already maxed out in HP, there is nothing that you can do without rebuilding the engine and remapping the ECU.
If you remap the ECU you will loose MPG, if you build the engine without remapping the ECU it will run like crap.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't use one on a D2, might get away with one on a D1 but still not a good idea. Replacement MAFs at $225 plus are to expensive to have to replace after they fail.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Well this info helped lol. Glad i asked. Any suggestions to help "kick-down" when i'm going onto on-ramp or over take with passing

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your kickdown cable and make sure your tranny service is up to date. With the truck off, you should be able to hear a little tick just before you hit the floor with the accelerator.

D1 or D2?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

1999 Disco I SD

Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran a K&N for about a year. It was in it when I bought it. The D1's have a heartier MAF, and can take the abuse, but you aren't really gaining anything. I noticed absolutely no difference in the pedal after switching back to paper, and my mileage improved.

Depending on your mileage, you may want to replace your O2 sensors for a boost in MPG. After that, look into some BG 44K injector cleaner, Magnacor wires and Bosch +4 plugs. Switch to synthetics in your diffs and transfer case. That's about all you can do....

Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just be paitent, LR's are trks not sports cars. They are made for driving through the jungle not passing people on the motorway.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Rock Crawling

I am agreeing. On the E way, unlike my other cars. i drive in the slow lane. BUT i enjoy it. its so less stress just cruising then having *** riders all day. they will just pass you in the fast lane. that is so much less stress as i said.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling

I made a post once before. I had my LR for 3 days then the engine went out on it. Had a 60k mile engine put it. Bad luck for me. it checked out fine. have not really got a reason for why it did this. But i'm putting it in the past. I have a motor w/ warrenty and its driving again. I'm finally getting around to looking at everything, getting ideas about it. Still happy with it. So i have all new plugs and wires, and everything else they would be included, new tramission fluid+filter+gasket. Just the fluid filter and gasket, not a new trasmission. New water pump. New ignition coil pack. Had to take another loan out for this sadly. about 3,800 more for all this a top of the 5200 i paid for the car.

Quick Reply: Discovery and K&N