Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rounded head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Rounded head bolt

Well, my headgasket change was going very smooth until this happened. Passenger side, rear most head bolt has rounded.....

No idea what to do... never encountered a head bolt that didn't let go. Let alone one in the worst position possible....

Any ideas?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Well, my headgasket change was going very smooth until this happened. Passenger side, rear most head bolt has rounded.....

No idea what to do... never encountered a head bolt that didn't let go. Let alone one in the worst position possible....

Any ideas?
Sorry to hear that. That is almost quite impossible to reach. Try removing the rocker and possibly use a dremel cut off tool. But im not sure if the entire head will slide out of the bolt once head is cut. I am thinking that the end bolt is deep as well. A nut extractor might help too but thats torqued real well.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Should have clarified. This is the recessed bolt down in the head. Closest to the fire wall. I could only see some kind of carbide cutter on a right angle drill working.

I've seen extractors of several types, will any of them actually work on something this tight?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Should have clarified. This is the recessed bolt down in the head. Closest to the fire wall. I could only see some kind of carbide cutter on a right angle drill working.

I've seen extractors of several types, will any of them actually work on something this tight?
I would find the best quality extractor set money can buy, or just one from snap on that is the correct size.

Practice on another bolt. Use a brass hammer or drift to seat the extractor on the bolt as firm as possible.

Even if you don't believe in god, pray... then with the most consistent movement possible and a very long breaker bar turn ever so slowly and firmly.

you should get it. Good luck

Old 12-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Alright thanks for the input. I'll see if I can chase down a snap-on truck tomorrow.

This has been my luck lately. Did a complete rebuild on a GSXR 1000 motor a couple months ago. Entire build went incredibly smooth, very few tolerances needed to be adjusted, nothing broke. Got it back together smooth and went to start it... somehow I failed to seat 4 valve spacers properly and bent 4 valves when it fired. New head with valves was only $100 but still, last piece of the puzzle had to be the one that derails the smooth build train.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:57 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I had to deal with a rounded head bolt, but at least mine was passenger side front.
First thing is re-tighten the other bolts in the head. You don't want that single bolt torquing the head in that area.
I used a Dremel and angle grinder to cut some chunks out of the side of the bolt so that I could seat a long pin punch on them. Also drilled into the centre of the bolt head. It took nearly a week of hammering, grinding, and drilling to get it free.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Woooooo, if I wasn't a God fearing man before, I am now. Snap-on God be praised, blessed be your extractors, alloha snackbar and all that!

Old 12-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Baja

Woooooo, if I wasn't a God fearing man before, I am now. Snap-on God be praised, blessed be your extractors, alloha snackbar and all that!
life is good. Stoked for you

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I hear tales that these things are real 'magic' ........ bet the bolt head ain't too healthy afterwards though.

https://store.snapon.com/EXTRACTOR-TOOLS-C629167.aspx

Old 12-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Baja

out of curiosity, did you re torque the other bolts or just go for that one. And finally just got your "aloha snack-bar", I love it!!!

Quick Reply: Rounded head bolt