Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAI solenoid valve connections

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SAI solenoid valve connections

from the rave SAI layout diagram, I see that the SAI Solenoid has 2 connection nipples: 1 for the vacuum line from the reservoir and one going to the SAI valve(s). My question is on the one going to
the valves. Is there supposed to be a T connector inline off this single connection that splits the vacuum to each valve? where is it usually located?

Old 12-22-2023, 11:49 AM
Mudding

just took the rubber nipple off the passenger side SAI valve (it was pretty stuck on tight). can blow thru it with a slight bit of resistence to the SAI solenoid valve. then took off the SAI
solenoid valve. applied 12V to it and I can hear it click. so it SHOULD be good I presume. what would the next step here? I'll see if I can get a hand vacuum pump and connect it to
the SAI valve nipple and apply a good vacuum to it and see if I can get the valve to open. I should hear exhaust when I do this ..correct?

note that I took the larger input rubber hose off the SAI valve on the passenger side and checked the inside. Was clean...not a speck of black soot. So I would hazard to guess that
that that valve is not opening. ie: stuck...?

Last edited by mackendw; 12-22-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:30 AM
Mudding

I fired up this morning < 50 degrees here this AM. the SAI pump came on and I could hear/feel the fan motor running and pressure was definitely pushing thru to the SAI valve on the passenger side.
The exhaust noise was louder too. after 1.5 minutes the valve closed, air flow stopped being pushed and engine exhaust noise went back to being normal. So it is working....at least some of the time.
Will continue to monitor.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

So what are you attempting to fix?

There is supposed to be a split connector on the small vacuum lines. Usually the oem connector is around the front of the tb.

if you pull up sai lines on Rovers north etc you’ll see what I mean

Last edited by The_OGCJR; 12-23-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:16 AM
Mudding

I get a SES with code P1415 every 2-3 driving starts on cold mornings. The SAI valve on the passenger side is definitely opening as the exhaust
noise is more pronounced with air flow going into the valve. I can feel the flow on the rubber hose that connects to it. Touching the SAI pump I can
feel it spinning when on. May be the O2 sensor is crapping out or intermittent?

Old 12-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Most likely the sai valves are getting stuck and need cleaning.

Old 12-23-2023, 02:48 PM
Mudding

I took off the rubber hose that feeds the passenger side yesterday and doused it with carb spray. wiped the excess. there was hardly any soot...so I don't
think the valves are sticking. definitely is opening cuz when it runs the SAI pump and airflow is going to that valve, the exhaust noise is evident...meaning
the valve is opening allowing the air to flow in.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Did you take a look inside the sliver cans bolted to the stainless tubing that goes to the head?

The hose that goes from the pump to the valve won't have any soot in it cuz that's on the pressurized side.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:03 PM
Mudding

that would be the SAI valve. Yes, I looked/felt inside and no soot was evident...which is it leaking (stuck open) would be present in the outer chamber....from what I've read anyway.

Old 12-23-2023, 03:06 PM
Rock Crawling

And the tubing that goes to the head, especially the nipples that bolt directly to the head are clean too? I just cleaned ones from a 60k mile disco and the those had maybe 50% opening left.

Quick Reply: SAI solenoid valve connections