Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   seafoam instructions on DII (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/seafoam-instructions-dii-20730/)

tornado_735 03-20-2009 04:28 PM

any seafoam instructions on DII

I searched the forums for about 40 minutes looking for clear cut instructions on how to do a seafoam treatment. The only clear cut instructions I found were pretty much to make sure I am away from anybody with some sort of a respiratory ailment, for fear of putting someone in the hospital. Which hose do I suck the seafoam through?

humroot 03-20-2009 05:12 PM

As you're looking at the intake from the front, there is a black hose coming off the left side. That is the one most people use. Get a pair of pliers to use on the hose to regulate the flow of the Seafoam. Put it in SLOWLY or the engine will stall. It puts off a bejesus amount of smoke.

tornado_735 03-20-2009 07:05 PM

Although I think I did it wrong, I think it worked.

I got impatient, and went down to do the Seafoam. I took the hose off the left side of the Idle Air Control, put my trusty orange funnel in it (the only way it would stay running), and ever so slowly poured the seafoam into the funnel. At the last few drops, (and this is why I think I did it wrong) something under the hood started to smoke ever so slightly. I think it was the exhaust manifolds. I turned the key off, and it dieseled for 3-4 seconds (another reason I think I did it wrong) before it eventually stopped. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, fired it up, and drove through the parking lot of the Iron Pony leaving a wall of smoke in my trail. It looked like one of those stunt BI-Planes at an air show. A little old man and his wife just stopped and stared at me. I laughed my ass off. I got out on the road, and the white/blue/gray smoke subsided to black smoke for a few seconds, then to barely anything.

Seems to idle better, drive better, not hesitate, and overall, I think it was a huge success.

I am going to park it tonight, and drive the Pontiac in the morning. I'll try and get some new plugs in it tomorrow.

humroot 03-20-2009 10:40 PM

You did it right. Mine smokes from the exhaust manifolds too.

tornado_735 03-21-2009 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by humroot (Post 108231)
You did it right. Mine smokes from the exhaust manifolds too.

Oh good. LOL I thought I had completely screwed something up. I did it to my Jeep last night too. World of difference! Next is my Grand Prix. I want to see what kind of good that does.

Disco Mike 03-21-2009 10:06 AM

Well, now that you have describe how NOT to do an induction cleaning, I would like to clear up the directions a little.
On either a D1 or D2, you use the SMALLEST vacuum port with the least amount of vacuum, you don't pore in the Seafoam or any other cleaner thru a funnel but suck it thru a small hose, hooked to the a port on the farthest side of the manifold from the t/body and using a set of plyers as a metering device you allow the fluid to be sucked in slowly over a minute or two, then shut the engine off for at least 30 minutes to allow the fluid to be absorbed by the carbon and sludge.
While waiting clean out the t/body then go drive the truck till it quits smoking.
Next time you get out on the road, add 1 can of B&G's 44K , Techtron or Seafoam to help clean out the injectors.

Disco2Fever 04-17-2009 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time to find the proper vacuum tube to use. Could you point it out, please?

Here's three pics of my engine bay, taken about 10 minutes ago. THANKS!

Attachment 48620

Attachment 48621

Attachment 48622

tornado_735 04-17-2009 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a small vacuum intake port underneath the brake booster and pcv hose. There should be a rubber cap on it. Take it off, connect a piece of rubber hose, and let'er rip!

Attachment 48619

Disco2Fever 04-17-2009 07:56 PM

AWESOME, thank you!

Any idea on the size of hose to get? I'll pick one up in the morning when I go get plugs.

I got back too late from town with Seafoam... the Induction cleaning will have to wait until tomorrow. I got enough to do both Discos though... looking very forward to it!

Pat

Disco Mike 04-17-2009 08:21 PM

3/16th and don't let it rip, use some pliars, squeeze the line so just the smallest amount of fluid goes thru over a period of a minute plus for a whole can of Seafoam. Then shut down the engine for at least 1/2 hour, clean the t/body and idle control while you are waiting.
Then go make lots of smoke.