Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

secondary air pump disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default secondary air pump disassembly

Took the secondary air pump out to service it since it was getting SOOO LOUD!

Filter was not falling apart yet. Good thing.
Water came out of the pump when I took it a part. Bad thing!

drilled the rivets out to completely take apart and now I can't get any further due to the big silver disk.

Anyone got any idea how to get the silver disk out of the secondary air pump.

free image host

Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I know all about this scenario.

I got a stage further than you. The sticky up bit in the centre of the disc has a hole in it. You need to fashion a puller which has a rod down the centre of the hole, this will push on a spindle. The puller then clamps around the recess in the sticky up bit.

Clear?

I used a nut and a bolt, with 'something I cant remember' to clamp around the sticky up bit. Turning the nut put pressure on the spindle, while holding the sticky up bit. (I'm avoiding using the N word)

Edit. I remember. I drilled a bigger nut to fit over the slot, split it, then jubilee clipped it back together, while the drilled lip was over the slot. Looking back it was woefully bad to expect it to work.

Unfortunately my device was not sufficiently well made, and fell apart before the disc popped off its spindle. Also due to the fact the hole is small, so I could only utilize a small bolt.

I read around here a bit, and found a link somewhere to another car forum which uses the same SAI pump. There, someone had done the job properly, and machined up a nice puller, replaced some bearings and rescued the pump. I'm certain the other car make was Also European, Volvo springs to mind.

I should also mention that in messing around I destroyed any kind of balance the disc might have had. It had weld spatter all over it, I bent it etc. getting that disc off became a matter of pride.

After 0.75 of a day fannying around I called up a spares place and had a 2nd hand one sent. It was a gamble as it could have been as bad as my original one. They wouldn't test it for me, before shipping. Adding helpfully I could return it if I wanted. But it was sweet. I lost my pride, threw the old pump in the bin, and opened a beer.

This was before I realised Paul Grant existed. Hunt down Paul and ask him to put one in the post, after firing 12v through it to check it doesn't sound worse than the one you have on the bench there.

Or be the 2nd only known person in history to remove that disc.

Be sure, the prize lies behind it, if you choose to carry on.

Turn to page 347 to attack the knight.
Turn to page 296 to run and talk to the goblin again.

Last edited by cappedup; 12-30-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the cool story with the bad news. Makes me feel a little better.

Worse part is the hose that runs to the bottom of it was brittle and broke when I was removing the pump! DAMN YOU LAND ROVER gods!!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Anybody have any idea why I would have had water in it.

Don't want to get another pump and start having the same problem with water getting into it!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I can only think condensation.

When I took my sai valves off there was small amounts of water. If the valve is leaking past where it should, you may be accumulating water in the pump.

When I took my valves off I could suck the tubes to see they held vacuum correct one way.

You could whip those off pretty quick and see if they pass the suck test.

No codes related to the sai system?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup

You could whip those off pretty quick and see if they pass the suck test.
HEHE! "Excuse me while I whip this out"

No codes specific to the SAI pump.

The pump started whining like crazy about a week ago. Last couple of days I got P0134 and P0305. I reset the codes. Next day I drove it and got P0132, P0171, and P1171.

I read that having issues with the SAI can cause problems with O2 Sensors throwing codes. Not sure how that is possible, but it seems that it is.

So, I am trying to fix the SAI to 1) Quite it down and 2) To help with the codes. Also going to replace the MAF, which has never been replaced.

After all this, if I am still getting codes, I am going to replace the 02 sensors!

BTW, here is that BMW thread you were talking about! If you can find a way to build that puller, this doesn't seem like a bad fix. Might try to see if I can find some stuff at the local parts store to build it. If I can, will probably buy the bearings that are mentioned and give it a try.

1998 528i S.A.S. Pierburg Air Pump Maintenance and Rebuild Info

Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Nice find. That's it.

Yeah it would be nice to actually repair something with a few cheap bearings than replace it. Good luck.

I had similar codes. Before going for expensive stuff check the SAI vacuum solenoid. Mine was my cause. 2 minutes to take off, give it 12v. You should get a very definite click as it openS and closes. Mine sounded like a broken spring.

If that's at fault, your valves arnt operating properly and maybe filling the pump with water.

Easy check. Could save $$'s.