Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selecting SS brake lines (may be a dumb question)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Selecting SS brake lines (may be a dumb question)

Brakes are mushy on my '02 SD. Planning to do a manual bleed (ugh and buy a scan tool I guess to do the ABS bleed), but at 109k miles, replacing the brake lines is a recommended service, so I figure I'll knock that out at the same time.

I'm looking at two sets, one from AB and one from Rovers North. Each accommodate a 2" lift, which is on my to-do list. What I don't understand is why the Rovers North kit includes 4 lines and the AB kit includes 6. I watched the AB video and saw the replacement of the 2 shorter lines, which I guess connect to the rear.

Is there a reason that I may not want to bother replacing those 2 (which would make the slightly cheaper RN kit the better choice)? Also the end bits look different, I have no idea why and would be happy to be educated.

Here's the AB: https://www.roverparts.com/brakes/kits/ABP218L/
Here's the RN: https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/sb...y_ii_1999_2004

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2022, 02:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

So the D2 actually has 6 brake hoses. It has 4 “traditional” hoses which connect the hard lines to the wheel but it also has 2 short “jumper” hoses that connect the ABS modulator to the rear brake lines. I don’t know why these are hoses and not lines. I recently bought and installed the 6 hose AB kit (the video AB has is very helpful) and the 2 shorter hoses took longer to do than the rest of them combined. For a little bit I was considering not even doing the two shorter ones, but I’m glad I did, the D2 needs all of the help it can get for brake feel. I suspect that the traction control also works a bit better. After the experience I recommend the AB kit, I had no trouble installing mine after a week and a half spraying down the fittings with penetrating oil, everything came out smooth.

Also, you don’t absolutely need a scanner capable of brake bleeding. You can do it by jumping the ABS modulator relay, there are a few posts regarding how to do this. If you search posts made by me I know I have one about my experience with the brake hoses recently and a little while back I have one about my ABS jumper cable I made. Let me know if you have any other questions, I did this recently so it’s all fresh in my mind!

The following users liked this post:
disco_nap (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
So the D2 actually has 6 brake hoses. It has 4 “traditional” hoses which connect the hard lines to the wheel but it also has 2 short “jumper” hoses that connect the ABS modulator to the rear brake lines. I don’t know why these are hoses and not lines. I recently bought and installed the 6 hose AB kit (the video AB has is very helpful) and the 2 shorter hoses took longer to do than the rest of them combined. For a little bit I was considering not even doing the two shorter ones, but I’m glad I did, the D2 needs all of the help it can get for brake feel. I suspect that the traction control also works a bit better. After the experience I recommend the AB kit, I had no trouble installing mine after a week and a half spraying down the fittings with penetrating oil, everything came out smooth.

Also, you don’t absolutely need a scanner capable of brake bleeding. You can do it by jumping the ABS modulator relay, there are a few posts regarding how to do this. If you search posts made by me I know I have one about my experience with the brake hoses recently and a little while back I have one about my ABS jumper cable I made. Let me know if you have any other questions, I did this recently so it’s all fresh in my mind!
Excellent! Thanks for the explanation. I watched the AB video too and was kind of dreading the 2 smaller hoses (and hoping I could get away with the RN kit), but I'll definitely go the 6 hose route. And thanks for the info re: the scanner. That'll save me more than a few bucks!

Old 08-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

No problem! If you are truly dreading doing the 2 smaller hoses you could always skip them and do the 4 hoses at the wheels and see how you like it with the penalty of needing to re-bleed the rears again at a later date. Why those two hoses are there to begin with is one of those unknowable Land Rover mysteries. A couple of tips from my experience:
1) Be prepared to get brake fluid everywhere, a catch pan, shop towels, and disposable gloves are a must.
2) Pre soak, pre soak, pre soak with penetrating oil. I did mine every day for about a week and a half as I was waiting for a day to do the job. Don’t forget to get behind the wheel well to get the fittings on the two shorter hoses.
3) I would also recommend getting in there with a small brush (like a toothbrush) and brushing off the fittings before spraying because road grime builds up on the fittings and I think it helps get the penetrating oil in there. Plus you’ll need to clear it out of there to fit the wrench on the hardware anyway. My truck is a ‘99 with 191k miles and I didn’t want to take any chances with busting any of the brake line ferrules or hardware which would have turned a relatively simple job into a nightmare. They don’t salt the roads where I live so at least that was in my favor- ultimately everything came out easy, which was the point!
4) Unless you have done brake work recently its probably worth making sure your brake bleeder screws easily loosen and tighten before you start because you’ll want to get that sorted before you do the brake hose job.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi try this ABS bleed from a UK forum

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...mer-box-90951/

Old 08-19-2022, 10:51 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A salesman at RN told me to get the AB set...

Old 08-21-2022, 07:58 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

I have used the goodridge stainless lines.
after 5 years w seasonal salty winters and summer ocean conditions - the banjo fittings had swollen and delaminated.