Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt just went

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Serpentine belt just went

Just lost belt while driving. Heard it pop, alternator light came on, some loss of coolant. Stopped quickly, no overheating (car was pretty much still cold). ny idea on coolant leak? I suppose the root cause could have been water pump, which caused belt to seize. Anything else that is a likely cause?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why are you guessing, have you actually gotten under the hood and check it out completely, how old was your belt?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guessing does not do much good but ehre goes. It could be the water pump, idler pulley or just about anything else. While you replace it though I would check all the pulleys and just about everything. Look to see if the water pump was seeping already as well.

What is the mileage?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

At this point in time, before you replace belt, good time to turn everything and feel/listen for any roughness. Under load they make even more noise, and can also be heard through the bush country engine inspection tool (a stick) held to your ear and the suspect item on the belt path. Really helps focus on the particular sounds.

Many things can sieze and throw off belt. And will continue to do so. Water pump is the only one that causes coolant loss. Typical is for it to begin to wobble, it is chewing up metal inside then, and leak out the nose of the pump. Takes about an hour to replace. 100K plus, you've gotten a good run from the oem pump. See attached photos. Be careful on bolts removed, they are various lengths and need to go back in same hole to avoid damage to front cover.

Most important - when putting back together - triple check belt route, cupped side of fan blade goes toward block. Good idea to mark fan front / back, etc. Be sure rad area is clear of any trash, one member put his fan and clutch back together and the new air flow pulled up an old piece of plastic and made a hole in his radiator.

While you are in this garden spot, might check fan clutch as well.

Attached Thumbnails Serpentine belt just went-p1030594.jpg   Serpentine belt just went-p1030596.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My suggestion would be to look around and see if the belt hit a hose. I was the one that Buzz mentioned had a piece go through my radiator. Look closely at your fan, and make sure no chunks are missing. On mine, it looks like the belt went on the previous owner at some point, and took some chunks out of the fan. Hopefully it just nailed a hose or something, and didn't put something through your radiator.
Oh, and if putting a new t-stat in while you are there test it out beforehand

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Water pump issue

With regard to This morning's guessing game as to cause of problem, I offer the following excuses:

A) it was 0645, and the sun was just coming up.
B) was on way to work, and dressed for the occasion
C) was on side of highway, and it was cold as hell
D) it was cold as hell (did I mention that)?

At any rate, had her towed and looked at. Was the water pump seizing up. Tensioner pulley or whatever it's referred to on Rovers was damaged too. Looks like everything else is intact...

Noticed the reference to the aftermarket water pump provided by Mike. Ordered for overnight delivery. Subsequently noticed someone flaming the parts place out of Utah that I ordered it from. Hopefully I'll have better luck than those ordering replacement radiators from this company...

As always, thanks for the feedback, even though it often takes a thick skin to post here! Still love my truck, despite being more high maintenance than my first wife...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Water pump issue

With regard to This morning's guessing game as to cause of problem, I offer the following excuses:

A) it was 0645, and the sun was just coming up.
B) was on way to work, and dressed for the occasion
C) was on side of highway, and it was cold as hell
D) it was cold as hell (did I mention that)?

At any rate, had her towed and looked at. Was the water pump seizing up. Tensioner pulley or whatever it's referred to on Rovers was damaged too. Looks like everything else is intact...

Noticed the reference to the aftermarket water pump provided by Mike. Ordered for overnight delivery. Subsequently noticed someone flaming the parts place out of Utah that I ordered it from. Hopefully I'll have better luck than those ordering replacement radiators from this company...

As always, thanks for the feedback, even though it often takes a thick skin to post here! Still love my truck, despite being more high maintenance than my first wife...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't take very thick skin to post here. Try disoweb.org, those dudes mush all be disgruntled factory works who have hemorrhoids. This place is pretty tame.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahahahaha

Best line ever "takes thick skin to post here!!!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO it takes a thick skin to admit your (and I have made many) bonehead mistakes before an international group of owners. That's one reason we have so few problems that actually show up with a resolution. Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-12-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt just went