Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service engine light!

the service engine light is on. 113k miles on the truck. i took the truck to two different pep boys to get the codes pulled and neither one could pull em. the first one said they couldnt find the connector. i didnt know where it was either so i went to a second one and they told me that they're scan tool simply could not pull the codes.

where is the connector located? is there anybody in the greater los angeles area that is willing to pull the codes for me? i live in burbank. thanks!

also, what are the dangers in having an overfilled transmission?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You have an ODBI system not ODBII like in '96 or newer vehicles. I believe you can read your codes without a scanner, by shorting one of the wires and pressing the gas pedal and the the CEL will blink certain number of times. Someone will come along with a real answer.

Can you overfill a DI transmission? I know on a DII it is not really possible but I also know the DI's are different.

Last edited by lipadj46; 10-09-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Look under the passenger front seat, you will see a red LED display that you can recover fault code numbers from. Now go do a Google for OBD1 fault codes on Rovers and how to recover them.

Gas Pedal!!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No to many dangers from a overfilled transmission on a DI.
Depending on how much over it is, it will come out of the fill tube and make a mess.
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the trans sump, loosen it, drain some out, check it, repeat if needed.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Drifting

ohhhh. thanks guys. i dont remember where i read the disco was odbII. would my disco have anywhere to even plug in a odbII scanner. was the pep boys service manager lying?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

There is On Board Diagnostics I and II.
OBD II became standard in 1996 and is required on all cars and light trucks.
Your truck has OBD I, there is a port to plug into under the hood, you must have a OBD I scanner.
You can buy them on e-bay.
But as already stated under he passenger side dash there is a LCD screen that folds down and it will list your trouble codes.

Find the RAVE download on the forum, do a search for it, find your year and start doing some reseach and you will find out how to read/clear the codes.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

I need to add, that any mechanic who still has hair on his head cannot fix a car unless the computer tells him how to do it.
Thats how they are trained now, plug in your computer, it tells you what is wrong, replace what it broken.
Pep Boys is one of those kinds of shops, no computer no fixyfixy.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Drifting

alright so i found these directions http://www.troublecodes.net/landrvr/

i only see 88 flash and then the led's dont light up. (im sure 88 flashes as an indicator that the led's are working)

so i want clear the codes. maybe then will the code(s) appear. but i cannot find the Data Link Connector (DLC). im looking for something that says DLC but i think it may not be that obvious. where is the DLC?!?!??!!?!?!?!?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Drifting

1. Put the ignition switch in position 0 and wait till the load relay drops out.

( the switch is in position zero when there is no key in the switch, so i wouldent know when the relay drops out)

2. Put the ignition switch in position II. The display will be blank if no other faults exist. If other codes exist, the next fault code will be displayed.

(no codes show up but, if no codes are present, the display will appear blank. A constantly lit Check Engine warning light indicates that a fault is present.

3. If multiple faults exist, repeat steps 1 through 3 until all faults are cleared.

is the ecm the box next to the odb1 display. if so i disconnected it and connnected it again and i didnt even get code 02 which means the ecm has been reconnected.

also, does anybody know what the DLC looks like?, i cant find it

Old 11-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Drifting

i read that if the service light is on and you get no codes, then thats just LR telling you to take it in to the dealer. is there anyway to clear the service engine light without going to the stealership?

Quick Reply: service engine light!