Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Stock Rubicons have Dana44 axels with 411 gears and air lockers with 285 tires. I just bought an 04 Discovery SE and am learning that you can just put a 2' lift with 245's and it will be just as capable, except . Allthough it would be lacking ground clearence and it is longer, compared to a rubicon. I'm wondering if any of you guys owned jeeps before and why you chose the landrover.What are the axels?Are they tuff and comparable to a dana 44 or more like a dana 30? I still have to figure out what gearscome inthem.Thanks everyone.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

I bought a Land Rover because it is better than a Jeep. It is The Best 4x4xFar, hands down.
Have you driven a LR? Do you likeaxles strong enough to hold a bridge? And easy towork on?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLyb9CCWQog
The only thing differnet from these trucks and what you can buy is they are diesel (no diesels in the US) and they have roll cages and HD winches, HD springs, other than that they are stock.
Over 70% of all LR's EVER made are still on the road, you cant say that about a Jeep.
60yrs, sold all over the world and they are the most sought after 4x4 in the world.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

What type of trails do you drive?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned Jeeps for 20 years before buying a Rover And have owned both for 2 years, before I decided that I was done with owning Jeeps and have been A Rover only owner for about a year now.

What Rover has over Jeep is comfort, class and uniqueness. Other than that Jeeps are much more reliable than rovers but they can be seen at every street corner.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Alot of twisty slopes and lots of rock. So you need ground clearence, low gears, strong axels and axel shaftsand lockers. Good transfer case with low ratio and a solid transmission. Well, thats why I baught one a disco but I just don't know all the specs for it like I know for a jeep. Anyone thats in the 4wheel world knows things like, dana 44 or 9 inch or cromoly axleshafts, 30 spline,tranfer drops and low range kits ect....I'm just making sure on what Iv'e heard through out the years is true about disco. I know that your rig is as good as you build it. Know matter what you have, you need strong axles, low gears, ground clearence, andlockers, or "cdl". I have never seen any land rover really set up before in action. To do some of the trailes I'm used to, any jeep would nee at least a 4inch with 33's. So I don't think a 2inch with 245 on my rover would do it. The thing thats awsome is Iv'e seen most all landrovers either stock or with a 2-3inch and 245-265 tires. You guys have been great,so thanks for all the tips, soon I will building it up.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Team Owner

Before you build your truck you need to see what it can do in stock form.You WILL be suprised. That being said Land Rovers are not for everyone.
We dont talk about the Dana axles and the like because we dont need them. You can get 24 spline HD axles for your Rover. The low range in the t-case will pull a house of the foundation.
Why did you buy a LR?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You may need to join the forum to read the post but this is a fun read on DiscoWeb.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rovers are the best at combining luxury and off-road capability, but I do not think a stock disco can keep up with a rubicon on the trail. f/r locked 44s, 4:1 transfer case crawl ratio and better approach/departure angles. I have not wheeled my rover very much but I have seen just about everything a rubicon is capable of over the past 4 years.

just out of curiosity, does anybody know the low range gear ratio for the disco? It does seem powerful.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Team Owner

D2Guy has a link to the gear ratios from the RAVE manual in this thread.
https://landroverforums.com/m_76599/tm.htm

Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks spike. 3.32:1, that is quite impressive for a stock vehicle.

Quick Reply: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco