Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myth Busting

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Myth Busting

Ok, I would love to get a clear answer to a question.

Who makes the 4.6L V8 in DIIs?

I've heard these theories:

-My wife's cousin claims it's a BMW motor (he's a BMW mechanic in Wisconsin)

-I've read that it's a reworked Buick motor.

-When I bought it (not from a LR dealer...actually a VW dealer) they said it was a Jaguar motor.

-A friend if mine (who owned a LR at one point) says it's a LR motor.

So which is it? Anyone know?

Brian

Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

All Rover V-8's started from the Buick 215 that was built in 1959 and has been reworked over the years ending with the 4.6.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Mudding

Wow. Really? That's crazy... In your humble opinion, is this a good thing?

Brian

Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Land Rover switched to the Jaguar AJ-V8 engine for new applications around 2005, but they still produce the one Mike mentioned under limited production for aftermarket and replacement use, so you can technically still get your hands a new one. People get confused at who makes it because because the engine commonly went by the name "The Rover V8", so you dont expect it to have Buick roots.

All DII's have the Rover V8 (Buick 215) since it was still in full production at the end of 04 when the DII production came to an end.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I love the rover v8. It is the buick design as said, and since sucks on gas and compared to huge american trucks with 400 hp and 600 lbs of torque it can seem underpowered but it's really not. it's just right for the disco.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Mudding

Yeah, the MPGs suck and it does feel a bit underpowered on the road, but I think you are right. It's perfect for the rover. Although it seems like if you get past the 60K mile mark, it will probably run forever.

Brian

Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Land Rover switched to the Jaguar AJ-V8 engine for new applications around 2005, but they still produce the one Mike mentioned under limited production for aftermarket and replacement use, so you can technically still get your hands a new one. People get confused at who makes it because because the engine commonly went by the name "The Rover V8", so you dont expect it to have Buick roots.

All DII's have the Rover V8 (Buick 215) since it was still in full production at the end of 04 when the DII production came to an end.
Actually, Rover no longer makes the engine, not sure if the sold the rights to another company but they are not building them any longer.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that could be a tricky question and would like to try to give my insight, if it comes standard in a land rover you would say it is a "land rover made engine" even though that may be wrong, I would assume the BMW remark came from the fact that quite a few years (I believe mid to late 90's) BMW owned land rover and did use some of there engines in some models, and then bought by Jaguar later on although I don't think they used any of there engines. I may be pointing out facts that everyone already knows (and also may be a little off with some of this but I think its all correct) but yes I was always under the belief that was a Buick motor (I didn't know it was a really old motor that was reworked though!)

Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Actually, Rover no longer makes the engine, not sure if the sold the rights to another company but they are not building them any longer.
According to the wiki link posted by kingsly its now made by "MCT". Im not sure what company that is, anyone have an idea what that stands for? That wiki page seems to be pretty accurate to the rover book I have.

Quick Reply: Myth Busting