Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several lights on in my dad's 2001 Disco. He's coming home tomorrow! Ahh!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several lights on in my dad's 2001 Disco. He's coming home tomorrow! Ahh!

I have my dad's Disco II while he is out of town. We had new tires put on while he was out of town. About a day after, 4 lights on the dash came on. It was the Service Engine Soon, ABS, Traction, and some light with a rover going down a hill.

I had the code pulled at auto zone and they said it was a bad fuel cap. Is that really the case? We've not added gas and I made sure the cap was tight. I unhooked the battery and the only light NOT still on is the Service Engine light.

Any thoughts? You guys are the experts...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what codes did they pull? It's the 3 Amigos and the service engine light. Come back with the code for the SEL. Not as easy with the Amigos. Tell us your location and maybe a member close by has an Amigo reader and might help out, if not your local Landy repair shop (not dealer) will need to read the ABS code.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

The code is P0455. I'm in Northwest Georgia (an hour between Atlanta and Chattanooga). Any advice is greatly appreciated. Seems to be running well right now.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ding ding ding you have the 3 amigos. Search for it.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIBrad
The code is P0455.
That code is the "Gross Evap leak". Its no big deal. Usually comes one when the gas tank is half full or less. Basically there is a small leak in a seal on the gas tank venting. From another member, he ended up fixing it by replacing the fuel pump seal at the top of the pump. Its a rubber ring.
Mine comes on about every 2 months and I reset and forget about it. It does not effect my Mpgs. I might fix it when the weather is warmer, but ignore it for now. Here is the part, it will set you back $16, free shipping on eBay.

LAND ROVER FUEL PUMP TANK SEAL DISCOVERY I II RANGE

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it once (P0455) on my wifes 01 and it was the gas cap not sealing. Can't hurt to try. The other issues. As stated...do a search with the word amigos and you will find out fast. But don't panic..there are pretty straight forward fixes for clearing it up. Need to know what the problem is first so get the codes read. Might be a wheel sensor, a hub, or the ABS unit. Are your brakes making any noise, squeels, dragging grinding?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 PM
4wd Low

My P0455 was also a bad gas cap. Three Amigos right after a tire change? Reset them, and see if they come back; you may have had some brake dust pile up on the sensor during the change; wash the car with particular attention to the brake calipers, and that will probably clear up the problem.

Brake squeal will also set off our three little friends. If you don't have a reader for the basic codes yet, it is a very good idea to get one. The least expensive one that I have found that will reset the codes is the Innova 3030.