Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Advise

Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Out of the seven replies on this thread. Only three of those are about shocks, and the rest are related to coils. Thank to the members who have stayed on topic, and actually gave some insight into what I was asking.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
Out of the seven replies on this thread. Only three of those are about shocks, and the rest are related to coils. Thank to the members who have stayed on topic, and actually gave some insight into what I was asking.
i would say give them a call about the shock adapters. I've talked with them a few times and I believe the owner is from the U.K. or they do have a link where you can email them. I sent them an email requesting some advice and he was "pushing" the complete set up so I'm sure if you email or call in just reference to the front lower shock adapter, they could give you more insight. I also did find out from them when I was talking to them, they have custom shocks custom made for their springs. A little pricy for my liking especially since I don't know anybody using them. I also called Great Basin and they were very helpful in giving me an insight to my set up I'm looking for and they even recommended rte for the front shock mounts and turret where you can cater it to your need for the terrain you are gonna be traveling and staying in. I don't know where you plan to be staying/camping/living at but a lot of options open up with swapping out the lower set up and you can go standard style shock or remote resivoir where you can change it based to your terrain if you are going cross country or anything. Anyway you do it, let me know how it goes BC I'm planning a 2" rte which is really equivalent to a 3" ome or terrifirma and I'm debating shock options as well. Mine will be used mainly down south so not rock climbing or nothing like that. Just a bit more clearance for off-road and to help with the added weight in my situation.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
i would say give them a call about the shock adapters. I've talked with them a few times and I believe the owner is from the U.K. or they do have a link where you can email them. I sent them an email requesting some advice and he was "pushing" the complete set up so I'm sure if you email or call in just reference to the front lower shock adapter, they could give you more insight. I also did find out from them when I was talking to them, they have custom shocks custom made for their springs. A little pricy for my liking especially since I don't know anybody using them. I also called Great Basin and they were very helpful in giving me an insight to my set up I'm looking for and they even recommended rte for the front shock mounts and turret where you can cater it to your need for the terrain you are gonna be traveling and staying in. I don't know where you plan to be staying/camping/living at but a lot of options open up with swapping out the lower set up and you can go standard style shock or remote resivoir where you can change it based to your terrain if you are going cross country or anything. Anyway you do it, let me know how it goes BC I'm planning a 2" rte which is really equivalent to a 3" ome or terrifirma and I'm debating shock options as well. Mine will be used mainly down south so not rock climbing or nothing like that. Just a bit more clearance for off-road and to help with the added weight in my situation.
I also talked to them about shocks, but not about the mounts. I think they quoted me somewhere in the range of $900-$1200 for Bilstein and Rock Krawler. I do know that they recommend using the Bilstein 5100's resi shocks, and those do come with a nice price tag.

If I'm going to pay that much for a set of shocks I'll go with King or Fox. King is going to be your best bet when it comes to shocks period. I'm running some King coilovers on my 4runner, and love them. I may explore the option of building my own adapters, and running Kings. Plus I'm willing to bet I have everything I need to build them in my garage.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

What is driving you aware from Fox shocks?

Old 02-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by coors
What is driving you aware from Fox shocks?
Nothing. Just not sure if I want to buy the Fox D2 kit, or go with something that's more readily available from any off road supplier.

I'm partial to King since I've been running them for several year without any issues. I also know a low of people who run Fox so I can't say anything bad about them.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'll be honest, I didn't read the first post.... but yeah, 2" RTE is fine. I run fox shocks, and yes definitely worth it to convert to eye-eye front and rear. You'll need misalignment spacers for the rear, but it's no issue. I wouldn't run Rover specific stuff on it, and not a terrafirma fan.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Discoaddictnorth
Hi
I'm curious why you so strongly advise a 3" h.d. Spring without knowing what use the truck will see?
3" will put you into numerous other complications. Driveshaft / driveshaft angles, radius rods, tire size, etc. Etc.
Wrong.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I also talked to them about shocks, but not about the mounts. I think they quoted me somewhere in the range of $900-$1200 for Bilstein and Rock Krawler. I do know that they recommend using the Bilstein 5100's resi shocks, and those do come with a nice price tag.

If I'm going to pay that much for a set of shocks I'll go with King or Fox. King is going to be your best bet when it comes to shocks period. I'm running some King coilovers on my 4runner, and love them. I may explore the option of building my own adapters, and running Kings. Plus I'm willing to bet I have everything I need to build them in my garage.
i thing Great Basin rovers are cheaper on the blistein sand they change them out to poly bush so that's a plus but I understand everybody has their brand. I know lucky8 has the fox set up for around $500 that's d2 specific. I'm just enjoying following and seeing the options that are out there when my time comes to do mine.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Wondering why you're pushing 3" coils in a thread that's asking for advise on shocks?

A 3" lift is not practical on a vehicle that I plan to live out of, and travel around in for the next couple years. Hell, even a 2" is mostly likely more than I'll need.
Uh, I always push 3" coils? Duh.

Waterfall sound in the dash? 3" coils. Vibration at 55mph? 3" coils. Throttle body warmer leaking 3" coils.
Misfire on #5? 3" coils. P0327? 3" coils. Etc.

I was just wondering why you felt so strongly about it, that's it. But never mind man. I am sure you will find a shock combo that is suitable for your needs.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would disagree, you will likely get into suspension travel issues as well ad definite driveline angle concerns. Updated driveshafts with u joint as opposed to the stock rotoflex joint will be a for sure. Also h.d. Why to ruin the ride? What is the use of the truck? Mild offroad, extreme? Family truckster?
Again why h.d.
And as previously mentioned the question was about shocks.
I personally have been happy with Tera Firma on my trucks ( mild offroad, Dailly driver)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock Advise