Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go heavy duty on fan clutch?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Standard Duty Thermal Turns the fan 50-60% of shaft speed when engaged. Used with fans with lighter pitch. (1-1/2" of pitch) Flat plate impeller design with 30 Sq. In. of working surface.

Heavy-Duty Thermal Turns the fan 70-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling. Used with deeper pitch fans. (2 1/2" of pitch). Land and groove design with 47 Sq. In. of working area allows higher operating RPM's.

Severe Duty Thermal Turns the fan 80-90% of the shaft speed when engaged. Used with deeper pitch fans. (2- 1/2" of pitch). Land and groove design with 65 Sq. In. of working area. Larger working surface provides cooler running and longer life expectancy.

it's the amount of force exerted on the fan blades when its pushing air. The stock fan may not be able to handle the pressure, thus and small cracks can become bug ones.

this also matters with use, if you have a good functioning cooling system the fan may not engage often, or if you drive at faster speeds, let it idle allot, the fan may get engaged more often. Just something to think about.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Pro Wrench

To the person that had their fan blow apart, why did you put in a new fan that wobbled? What were you doing that caused the new fan?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Pro Wrench

The 2991 is severe, where the 2781 is only heavy. Using either of these on the stock fan "seems" to suggest that the fan will be moving much more air, but the blade pressures would be increased, causing a blow out if you have a weak fan.
This also increases wear on the water pump.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Anyone running their OEM fan blade “could” be at risk simply due to age alone. Also the 99-02 fan blade design = darn tough to sling an individual blade as the fan blade has a massive ring around it. It would be the 03-04 design that would simply toss a blade.

Until I see an Efan setup truly work trouble free = I’m sticking to my fan clutch/fan blade.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

his fan clutch had to have failed and locked to get enough RPM for that bad of a fan blowup-outer ring must have had a crack or nick too.I have seen quite a few metal fans that would work on a Land Rover-most would need trimmed and/or used with a fan clutch with longer input shaft.New metal clutch-hub fans are avalible from Flex-A-Lite,Derale,Hayden-industrial looking 6-blade designs .Belt driven fans have far more airflow capacity at just above idle rpm than any 12v electric setup.I know with "wj"jeeps the standard cooling systems have electric fan while the optional heavy duty cooling has a clutch fan.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cfz2882
his fan clutch had to have failed and locked to get enough RPM for that bad of a fan blowup-outer ring must have had a crack or nick too.I have seen quite a few metal fans that would work on a Land Rover-most would need trimmed and/or used with a fan clutch with longer input shaft.New metal clutch-hub fans are avalible from Flex-A-Lite,Derale,Hayden-industrial looking 6-blade designs .Belt driven fans have far more airflow capacity at just above idle rpm than any 12v electric setup.I know with "wj"jeeps the standard cooling systems have electric fan while the optional heavy duty cooling has a clutch fan.
could be, his water pump could have failed, the fan couldnt handle the rpm of the severe duty clutch, or the mechanic that did the work did something wrong.

$5,000 is a far stretch for costs, unless he is having the dealer do it, a Saturday and some upullit parts would have that back up in a couple hours...for less than $1000.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Even if the waterpump failed & completely seized up the working fan clutch would still freewheel if it wobbled after the seizure and struck something.

I had a Grand Cherokee suffer a horrific water pump failure & even then I heard the noise, pulled over & popped the hood. The fan blade was wedged into the fan shroud & the waterpump was just a spinning at almost a 45 degree angle. The belt was just laying there basically untouched. I had a friend pick me up, grabbed a new waterpump, and set about replacing it. Zero engine damage, no hood dents, just a new belt, waterpump, and coolant.

5k = you could buy 2-3 used D2’s and fix all sorts of stuff. Also if a fan clutch is to strong for the application your belt will give you a sign by either being glazed or squealing.

Last edited by Best4x4; 03-09-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
To the person that had their fan blow apart, why did you put in a new fan that wobbled? What were you doing that caused the new fan?
The fan was pretty much brand new.

I was told by Atlantic British's mechanic the wobble was pretty much insignificant and nothing to worry about. Against my better judgement I listened to that advise. I was doing nothing that caused the new fan to blow up. At the time it occurred I was driving up at an incline on the side of a mountain 7000-9000 feet above sea level. It was snowing and the temperature was 9 degrees.

The REV's surged and the explosion occurred. I have it on camera. Just need to buy a cable to put on on this website.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Even if the waterpump failed & completely seized up the working fan clutch would still freewheel if it wobbled after the seizure and struck something.

I had a Grand Cherokee suffer a horrific water pump failure & even then I heard the noise, pulled over & popped the hood. The fan blade was wedged into the fan shroud & the waterpump was just a spinning at almost a 45 degree angle. The belt was just laying there basically untouched. I had a friend pick me up, grabbed a new waterpump, and set about replacing it. Zero engine damage, no hood dents, just a new belt, waterpump, and coolant.

5k = you could buy 2-3 used D2’s and fix all sorts of stuff. Also if a fan clutch is to strong for the application your belt will give you a sign by either being glazed or squealing.

I do not want to get rid of it. It's sedimental and I've put too much work into it to let it go. I do not want to put all that work stress and time into a new rig when I have no idea how it was treated. The belt did not squeal and it was in perfect condition. The water pump was also removed and there was nothing wrong with it.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Banned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I go heavy duty on fan clutch?