Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be scared of a very high mile D2 thats looks perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

This D2 he's interested in looks fantastic, and I agree I am an option #3 guy. I know what I'm looking for, and I know what I'm looking at. If it's not as advertised, or it's a rust bucket I simply walk away.

As long as the frame/body of that Vienna Green/Tundra D2 is good go for it.

You can certainly get a cheap D2, but like mentioned above you'll have to spend time/money on fixing all it's issues from leater seats, headliner, stereo, plastic bits, windows, door locks, and any other issues, then the exterior paint, tires, yada yada yada, and the list could go on and on. I will spend more $$$ if all of the above are in good shape and I can simply buy it and instantly enjoy it.

My Old Faithful 99 D2 build met all the requirements minus me having to install a battery, and alternator. After I drove it home I did a tune up, changed fluids, and enjoyed it. Then once I knew it was truly a fantastic D2 I started working on upgrading it to how I wanted it. I paid 1500.00, but had the price been 4K I'd have bought it as well for the condition it was in.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Well said. I think it's best to start with a clean example. Just be aware what the long term costs will be. You will put money into it either way, so it might as well be in excellent condition.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the note of reliability, say the rovers engine was broke down and had the everything done to the 9's pinned liners, new head-gaskets all of it, HD front prop shaft, 180 degree TSTAT. How reliable are the engines after that, suspension and things like that I can deal with myself. I just cant have the engine spew its guts. To out this into perspective i'm 18, this car or whatever car I get is my graduation present (splitting cost with them 50/50) and i'm having to convince them. A d2 has been my dream car for years. They don't mind if the headliner sags or little electric bits go out, the selling point for them is that the engine needs to be solid to get me back and forth to college. Does anyone have some links to websites that talk about rebuilding and the reliability aspects. I love the forums but they aren't convinced by yall's opinions (face to the name kind of thing). Not to mention we have been a Toyota and Subaru family for years. So i'm going uphill against a outgoing tide. I love my current rig a lifted 06 outback but I want my rover!!!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by memphis_rover
On the note of reliability, say the rovers engine was broke down and had the everything done to the 9's pinned liners, new head-gaskets all of it, HD front prop shaft, 180 degree TSTAT. How reliable are the engines after that, suspension and things like that I can deal with myself. I just cant have the engine spew its guts. To out this into perspective i'm 18, this car or whatever car I get is my graduation present (splitting cost with them 50/50) and i'm having to convince them. A d2 has been my dream car for years. They don't mind if the headliner sags or little electric bits go out, the selling point for them is that the engine needs to be solid to get me back and forth to college. Does anyone have some links to websites that talk about rebuilding and the reliability aspects. I love the forums but they aren't convinced by yall's opinions (face to the name kind of thing). Not to mention we have been a Toyota and Subaru family for years. So i'm going uphill against a outgoing tide. I love my current rig a lifted 06 outback but I want my rover!!!
If IMHO LR D2’s had rolled off the factory floor with 180F thermostats, a better designed throttle body heater plate that didn’t cause the LR to slowly bleed to death, an ABS modulator with an external plug for the Shuttle Valves, better headliner glue, and better bumper/windshield cowl/misc trim plastics, they’d have been damn near flawless.

Address all those items and a few smaller ones & sit back and enjoy your LR as there is no other vehicle like it.

I drive the heck out of mine, maintain them properly & they are extremely reliable.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never heard of the throttle body how do you fix that one?

Old 12-11-2017, 01:01 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

You use the search function. There are dozens of threads on here about the throttle body heater.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:07 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

^^^ Foghorn Leghorn Moment!!!^^^

D2 4.6's have been dying a lot lately due to internal cracks. Some say they are repairable with flanged top hat liners but the bottom line is they are failing.

My factory replacement block failed this way at about 160k miles. Got that far with one oil pump/cam shaft failure, one set of head gaskets, and using one quart of oil per 1000 miles its entire life.

The 4.0's seems to be lasting longer judging by the comments on here.

I went the path of installing a completely rebuilt 2002 P38 4.6. I'll be happy if I get 100k out of this one before it needs head gaskets.

Paying someone to replace your engine will cost you more than the truck does, so while you set about learning what a throttle body is, continue down the path of learning everything you can before you take the leap, or be prepared to pay real money for your learning curve.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:40 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by memphis_rover
I have never heard of the throttle body how do you fix that one?
Have at it > How To Replace The Throttle Body Heater Plate On Your Rover With Bosch Engine

Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdo58

I paid $1500 for this came from a rich part of town, I put 2 o2 sensors changed the oil, and replace a small coolant line yesterday. Runs great and looks good.
What part of WA are you in? I am over in Fall City.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Puyallup wa.

Quick Reply: Should I be scared of a very high mile D2 thats looks perfect?