Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: who changed your spark plug wires?
dealer cuz i got a money tree in my yard
7.14%
local mechanic cuz i can
7.14%
i did cuz im that awsome!
92.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

should you change your spark plug wires and how hard it is (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default should you change your spark plug wires and how hard it is (with video)

Hey guys i changed my spark plug wires (mechanic put crappy grey wires on) however i did not realize how long of a job it would be. once i realized how big of a job it was i decided to make a video showing what i did to help other people make their mind up about taking it to the dealer (or mechanic) or fixing it yourself.

i went with the magnecore spark plug wires and bosch platinum plugs. it took my dad who is a mechanic and me about 5-6 hours but that time includes the time we took trying to do it without taking the im off. Also neither one of us actually knew what we were getting into so that is kinda newbie time.

The increase in power was crazy i noticed it as soon as i hit the gas petal. check it out and tell me what you think.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (12-18-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's always great to see more step-by-step videos like this. I highly recommend another one from AB for anyone considering removing the upper intake manifold. The AB guy has clearly done this a few times and has some great tips on how to disconnect the electrical connectors and how to avoid tapping into the cooling system via the throttle heater plate. If you're removing the manifold, I'd recommend putting in new manifold and throttle body gaskets, because they're cheap.

You absolutely can do this without removing the intake. I've done it once myself, though I'm not saying it was easy. It seems impossible at first, but all you need is a reasonably-sized pair of hands and the right tools. The famous bent screwdriver works wonders.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by batard

You absolutely can do this without removing the intake. I've done it once myself, though I'm not saying it was easy. It seems impossible at first, but all you need is a reasonably-sized pair of hands and the right tools. The famous bent screwdriver works wonders.
Yes you can... !

Change the coil pack while youre in there also...but it will depend on what coil pack you have, one is bigger than the other, if you have the big one, you cannot get it out without breaking some of the tips off..but since youre doing the wires, why not change the pack too.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 09-06-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I've been entertaining the thought of changing mine as the Rover seems a little sluggish lately but needed a little motivation and I think both of these vids will do the trick. Looks like I best set aside a whole day and have my ducks in a row prior to ripping into her. Haha.. like the part about 'reasonably sized hands' - Wish me luck!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

On a difficulty scale of 1 to 5 it scores a 2. It's a real easy job if you can turn wrenches and screwdrivers. Just be sure the correct leads go to the right plugs. Take some digi photos before you start as it makes life easier.

The following users liked this post:
SquarePeg/RoundHole (09-07-2016)