Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What color should I paint my calipers?
Red! 'Aint no shame in the game...
35.29%
Black. It's understated and subtle, but cool.
47.06%
I refuse to answer a question so banal unless "mud" is a color choice.
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Silly Post of the Week: Caliper Paint Color

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Silly Post of the Week: Caliper Paint Color

So my brake system is due for an overhaul and I'd like to add some performance with drilled/slotted rotors as well as a little cosmetic spice. I'm not in the market for a true brake upgrade (like to a Brembo kit which goes for $4k, yikes!), but I can get upgraded rotors for a reasonable price and paint the calipers.

Totally inconsequential question of the day is, what color?? Oh the agony of decision...

My ride is Niagra Gray, hurricanes, 255/55 Goodyear something's, no running boards (yet). Basically a stock truck.

Name:  100_2754.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  67.8 KB

I don't need to tell you that I'm not a serious off roader...truck's too nice and it's technically the wife's at this point, so it'll be for show for now. In a couple years, a couple dings, some peeling clearcoat on the rims and who knows, but for now it'll be relegated to the asphalt jungle.

Anyway. I like the idea of red, but would stock calipers look nasty painted red? Too rice? My last ride was a Honda Accord so I've definitely been among rice circles before. I mostly hate it.

The only other option to me is black, which is understated to the point of being invisible. Which is ok I guess.

Anyway, vote above please if you have an opinion on the subject. Danke!

Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have DBA slotted vented drilled rotors on fronts and drilled on rear. The part of the rotor that covers the hub comes painted gold....So I painted my front calipers gold to match. Rears too. Now you can hardy see gold with the brake dust about about 9 months later. I did use Hi temp paint but have been too lazy to power wash the calipers during a car wash. I have Typhoon LR rims. So you have to look closely to see the calipers. Anyway I know they look cool.

So here are some pictures of my gold bling rotors & calipers. They are no blingy after 9 months of heat and brake dust. But I know they are still cool.

New DBA front rotors taped off and being painted engine hi temp gold

Now 6-9 months later neglecting to clean them when wheels were off for tire rotation. Fun while it lasted

Not very noticeable on the Typhoon wheels. They would stand out on the Hurricanes you have.

Last edited by bosshogt; 09-17-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added some Pics
Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you serious? red calipers? seriously?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking silver to match the truck but thats my $.02

Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rust color goes well with mud.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red all the way.

________
Xxx Stream Free

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I have DBA slotted vented drilled rotors on fronts and drilled on rear. The part of the rotor that covers the hub comes painted gold....So I painted my front calipers gold to match. Rears too. Now you can hardy see gold with the brake dust about about 9 months later. I did use Hi temp paint but have been too lazy to power wash the calipers during a car wash. I have Typhoon LR rims. So you have to look closely to see the calipers. Anyway I know they look cool.
Pics please!! Also anybody else that has painted calipers of any kind...Thanks!

Originally Posted by toad2
are you serious? red calipers? seriously?
Teehee...I'm totally 50/50 on this, part of me echoes that exactly and the other says, I dunno...it could look mostly awesome...

What if they were red Brembos? Of course THAT would be categorically awesome, no?

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Im thinking silver to match the truck but thats my $.02
Hm. I'm definitely not a silver fan. I'll see your $.02 and raise you $.02.

Originally Posted by Bundu
Rust color goes well with mud.
Nothing like bone stock, eh? I'm rebuilding them so I kinda almost HAVE to paint em, the job just wouldn't seem complete otherwise.

Originally Posted by sloan74
Red all the way.
Yayah baby! I've got some 24" spinners in the near future too...

Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TReK

RED. How many Disco's do you see flashing red calipers???.....NONE, do it and be different/unique/a trendsetter.

But whatever color you choose, check out the Rustoleum "Hammered" (not that kind of hammered) spray paint, that stuff looks awesome and would look great on your calipers, or rims, etc....and no I do not work for Rustoleum.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
RED. How many Disco's do you see flashing red calipers???.....NONE, do it and be different/unique/a trendsetter.

But whatever color you choose, check out the Rustoleum "Hammered" (not that kind of hammered) spray paint, that stuff looks awesome and would look great on your calipers, or rims, etc....and no I do not work for Rustoleum.
Saw that at the store...but passed it up because it wasn't rated for high temps. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the marketing, but don't you need a reasonably high temp paint?

What's different about the hammered btw? I'll do some image searches.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ShortTom
Saw that at the store...but passed it up because it wasn't rated for high temps. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the marketing, but don't you need a reasonably high temp paint?

What's different about the hammered btw? I'll do some image searches.
Yeah, I didn't realize it wasn't rated for higher temps, you'll probably want that around the brakes.

Well it has a more textured, for lack of a better term, hammered metal finish. I used the darker grey color to repaint my Nissan Maxima rims a while back and it turned out great. I just used it repaint the DI wiper arms when I did the conversion last week. If I end up keeping my Disco, I would consider refinishing the rims with that style of paint.

Quick Reply: Silly Post of the Week: Caliper Paint Color