Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight steering drift

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slight steering drift

I just bought my 2000 Disco. It has 82k miles, but it's 10 years old so I thought I'd have the local dealer give it a once over and get a punch list of things to do. One of the items on that list was to replace the steering drag link. They wanted $515 to do that. Well, looks like it's a $125 part from roverland, so I think I'll do it myself thank you very much. My question to this group is if the drag link alone would cause a very slight drift in the steering. When stopping at a light where the road is rough and worn from trucks stopping there it will tend to pull a bit with the grooves in the road. On the Interstate it tends to wander a very slight amount. The steering feels fine in that there's not much play in correcting the wandering, but then my other two cars are a 1985 Vanagon and a 1966 VW Single Cab Pickup, so maybe my idea of not-sloppy is a bit biased Anyway, is the drag link the right place to start, or should I just plan on replacing all the steering components?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the drag link is cheaper at AB http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/QEK000030.cfm but i would question other things. what about the steering damper? alignment? tires? you need to take a good look at your truck yourself. jack it up see if there is any play in any of the tires side to side or top to bottom. most of all don't go to the dealer for anything more than a clip a test drive or a free cup of coffee.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the drag link by itself could definitely cause some drift. Check the tie rods for abnormal wear also. The steering damper will play a small role also, but shouldn't have too much affect on drift.

Going to the dealer and asking them for a list of what needs to be fixed, usually gets you a list that includes replacing everything except the seats, so if all they say is drag link, I would expect that's your culprit.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The drag link is a good place to start.
Also check your ball joints and tie rods.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Overlanding

Thanks folks. The wheels seem to have no play left to right or top to bottom. The drag link has a little give when I pull on it, but not much. Everything else seems to be tight though it does look like the tie rod ends are a bit worn. I'm guessing this Disco has seen a lot of city driving, which I would expect would have more wear on steering and brakes (which it also needs).

That was my thought too, in having the dealer check it out: They'd list everything they possibly could hoping to get work, so if all they said was the drag link, it probably is it. However, I believe in forums like this, so I thought I'd post it here.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are only two replaceable tie rod ends on the vehicle. The other two are not because they are crimped in. Get under the vehicle and push up and down on the tie rod ends. if they are loose they will move. If they do not move they are fine. If the one that is loose is on the side with the adjuster you need only replace the joint. If its not then its a drag link. The part is usually frozen on so it might be best to go to an alignment shop where they will take it off and then align the vehicle because it will be off when installing the new one.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

don't go to the dealer. find yourself an indy mechanic. save yourself a few G's

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

After replacing that part, if you still have a problem, rotate your best tires to the front, air them up to 40 pounds and see if you still have some movement. If you do, go find a good alignment shop, not the dealer, and have him check it out.
Let us know what you find.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Overlanding

I finally had someone turn the steering wheel slightly last night while I was under the car. The end of the drag link that's connected to the steering box does have some play in it. Of course that's the end that's crimped onto the tube, so I guess I need to whole tube. Should I replace the whole drag link thinking the other end will likely go bad soon too, or just the tube and worry about the other end when it gets sloppy? Should I not heat these up to remove them if they're stuck, and if I move neither the wheels nor the steering wheel while making the change won't it go right back to the same alignment it has currently?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Overlanding

To close this thread out, I finally got around to replacing the drag link and the LR now drives like a new car. It was a bit harder than expected. The driver's side required a 3" c clamp cranked down on it with the application of heat from a propane torch to pop out. The passenger side threads were damaged so I had to put the same clamp on that side pressing the taper together to get the nut off the last bit. I also had to heat that nut. Yes, I did take that front wheel off to avoid damaging the tire with the torch!

Next task: changing the AT fluid and filter.

Quick Reply: Slight steering drift