Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly comical problem with left blinker

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slightly comical problem with left blinker

Hey guys I have a strange issue with my left blinker. When I hit the switch to turn on my left blinker, my radio, clock, and odomoter all blink in unison with the turn signal. They blink as if I was turning my lights on and off. It doesn't do it when I activate the right turn signal, only the left one. I did some searching in the RAVE but couldn't locate anything that I thought would be the culprit. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

hahaha! sorry that is pretty comical. Not that I can help you..

Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd guess either corrosion in the bulb sockets or perhaps the wrong bulb. I've seen this on other makes and models where someone would cram an 1156 in an 1157 socket or vice versa.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
I'd guess either corrosion in the bulb sockets or perhaps the wrong bulb. I've seen this on other makes and models where someone would cram an 1156 in an 1157 socket or vice versa.
Strange. So corrosion in the bulb socket would cause all those other things to blink as well?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Without looking at ground/earth distribution in the manual I cannot be certain, but yeah if the share a common ground somewhere close it just might. Or if it's shorting out sending power up the path that feeds the running light filament in the bulb.

Last edited by jafir; 11-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Winching

So I am thinking there must be short somewhere. One weird thing though, when I unplug all the switches on the cluster with the gas tank release, hazards, SLS, etc. the blinker works fine. (I had them unplugged yesterday and noticed it didn't do it).

So today, I plug everything back in, and it is doing it again. And if I turn on the hazards, they blink really fast. And also, when I use the left blinker or the hazards, the trailer light on the dash lights up and flashes as well. Is this the weirdest?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd start at the other end of the circuit, the rear lamp connections - disconnect them to see when problem stops. Of course do this when parked at home, in my county you get an $85 ticket for any bulb out. Keeps the constables paid...

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Winching

So I checked all my grounds and fuses and relays. Everything checks out. The problem has escalated though. Now my radio, climate control, clock, cluster, and all lit buttons blink. It's like I'm turning my lights on and off in unison with the blinker. Because of this I am starting to think it may be my blinker stock/switch. Could this be the culprit?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I REALLY wish someone knew the answer to this problem...I have the exact same thing going on. Try hooking a trailer to it, all my left blinker lights stay lit when my trailer is hooked up

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Winching

Forgot to mention. All bulbs check out just fine. The blinker works normal when my lights are on. Everything only blinks if the lights are off and the left blinker is activated. Right blinker is normal. Hazards however do the same as the left blinker. Everything blinks. And quickly. Not the normal speed. The hazards act that way no matter if the lights are on or off. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Slightly comical problem with left blinker