Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Slow to go in reverse. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/slow-go-reverse-42660/)

timdunbar 07-30-2011 12:35 PM

Slow to go in reverse.

OK guys my transmission has done this twice now. In the morning pulling out of the driveway this morning, and one morning about two weeks ago. I put my disco in reverse and it seems like a solenoid is stuck inside the valve body or something because it takes a couple seconds too long for it to start moving. I'm currently waiting for it to cool down right now so I can drain and fill the fluid, and change the filter. I also got a bottle of tranny honey and I'm going to throw that in there while I'm at it. Basically I am asking is this the first nail in the coffin for my transmission?

Disco Mike 07-30-2011 02:06 PM

Before you start changing things, do you know how to check the fluid level, check it, see if it is full and if so is it brown and burned?
That will then determine what you should be doing next. Who's tranny additive did you buy?

timdunbar 07-30-2011 02:11 PM

I will check it first. Casite Tranny Honey. Still waiting for it to cool down, outside, hot as crap here today.

Spike555 07-30-2011 02:57 PM

This is classic clogged trans filter symptoms.
Do NOT use the Tranny Honey, you will need a shot of penicillin if you do.
Seriously, dont use it.
Change the fluid and filter, if it still continues than add the Trans Honey, all that stuff does it make the trans fluid thicker so it hold pressure better.

timdunbar 07-30-2011 03:00 PM

copy that spike no tranny honey.

Disco Mike 07-30-2011 03:28 PM

Go check the fluid level and get back to us, the engine has to be running to do it anyway.
Do not use that Honey stuff, lets talk about the condition of the old fluid first.

timdunbar 07-30-2011 05:35 PM

Old fluid is full, and nice and red, looks pretty good, I just changed this fluid last september, and I have put about 9000 miles on my truck since then. By the way no leaks of any kind, not a drip. And no codes either.

Spike555 07-30-2011 05:54 PM

The trans will not throw codes.
Just because you changed the fluid and it looks nice and clean does not mean the filter is not clogged.
You can change the filter yourself in your driveway, that is where I would start, its cheap and if it does not help then you are only out $50 and time.

timdunbar 07-30-2011 06:04 PM

I actually want to change the filter and have all the necessary stuff to do it already, and have done similar jobs in the past, though not on a Disco. It looks easy enough and I have the tools. I just don't want to be like some of the folks I see on here and do **** before they ask questions, thats all. Thanks for the info about the tranny not throwing codes, thought I read somewhere that it could, perhaps it was on the newer LR4 board or something, or maybe I am just mis-remembering.

uglysteve 07-30-2011 06:05 PM

I agree with the others, low fluid can cause this problem.

timdunbar 07-30-2011 06:52 PM

Ok changed filter and fluid, I guess time will tell. The filter did not look terribly dirty or anything, it certainly wasn't new though, so I guess we'll see.

Spike555 07-30-2011 07:50 PM

Keep us posted man.
And kudo's for asking questions first.

Disco Mike 07-30-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 260122)
The trans will not throw codes.
Just because you changed the fluid and it looks nice and clean does not mean the filter is not clogged.
You can change the filter yourself in your driveway, that is where I would start, its cheap and if it does not help then you are only out $50 and time.

Actually the tranny on a D2 will throw codes from 700 to 800 and be very specific.

If the fluid is red and full and neither diff. has failed, the tranny is gone, most likely hard hard fault break.

timdunbar 07-31-2011 12:59 AM

Well I will start sourcing a new tranny then, but man other then the two times this has happened everything works perfectly. I hope you are wrong Mike, but I will prepare just in case.

timdunbar 07-31-2011 01:42 AM

Actually just thought of something, what better way to increase my knowledge of Land Rovers then to rebuild the transmission myself, never done it, found a kit and a manual online, I am actually a little excited about the prospect of my transmission blowing up now. My wife hates it when I say this, but, How hard could it be? Looks like I will be biking to work for a week or two if Mike is right.

timdunbar 07-31-2011 07:38 AM

Well it did it again this morning. It occurs to me that I might be causing this to happen. The first two times it did this, I was in a hurry to move my Disco out of the way, this morning I was in a hurry too because I was trying to simulate the circumstances from yesterday. What I am doing is this: I start the truck and immediately put it in reverse to back out of my driveway. Perhaps I am making this happen. 99% of the time I am not in a hurry and I have no problem. I will test my theory tomorrow morning.

Disco Mike 07-31-2011 08:58 AM

How many total quarts of fluid did you install, did you fill it the second time while the engine was running?

lordmorpheus 07-31-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by timdunbar (Post 260182)
Well it did it again this morning. It occurs to me that I might be causing this to happen. The first two times it did this, I was in a hurry to move my Disco out of the way, this morning I was in a hurry too because I was trying to simulate the circumstances from yesterday. What I am doing is this: I start the truck and immediately put it in reverse to back out of my driveway. Perhaps I am making this happen. 99% of the time I am not in a hurry and I have no problem. I will test my theory tomorrow morning.

I had been secretly wondering this all along. Mine does the same thing if I put i in reverse within a second of the engine start. There have only been a few times I've done this, when I've been in a big hurry; I start the engine, almost immediately put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and then it seems for a second or two, the vehicle doesn't have as much pulling power in reverse. It moves backward, but just not very fast, until a few more seconds elapse, then all is normal.

When I start the engine, and allow it to idle for 20 or so seconds before I put it in reverse, it never has a problem. My theory is that it might take more than a couple of seconds for the transmission to build the correct pressures from a cold start after sitting overnight.

It's not very good on the engine either, putting it in gear immediately. I know this, but sometimes I am in a really big hurry, and almost every time I have done this, I have experienced what you described.

I now start the engine immediately, then get adjusted in my seat, fasten my seat belt, put my coffee in the upholder, wait a few more seconds, then finally put it in reverse.

timdunbar 07-31-2011 05:03 PM

I put 5 quarts in Mike, and it took my three times of going through the gears for it to take all 5, but I got a steady stream out after the third time with just the rest of the 5th quart.

timdunbar 07-31-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus (Post 260206)
I had been secretly wondering this all along. Mine does the same thing if I put i in reverse within a second of the engine start. There have only been a few times I've done this, when I've been in a big hurry; I start the engine, almost immediately put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and then it seems for a second or two, the vehicle doesn't have as much pulling power in reverse. It moves backward, but just not very fast, until a few more seconds elapse, then all is normal.

When I start the engine, and allow it to idle for 20 or so seconds before I put it in reverse, it never has a problem. My theory is that it might take more than a couple of seconds for the transmission to build the correct pressures from a cold start after sitting overnight.

It's not very good on the engine either, putting it in gear immediately. I know this, but sometimes I am in a really big hurry, and almost every time I have done this, I have experienced what you described.

I now start the engine immediately, then get adjusted in my seat, fasten my seat belt, put my coffee in the upholder, wait a few more seconds, then finally put it in reverse.

That is exactly what I have going on man, to the "t". If I wait a few seconds everything works as normal, if I'm in a hurry it is slow to go into reverse, it pulls but not with as much power and then everything works normally.

Spike555 07-31-2011 05:30 PM

Why are you guys in such a hurry to get anywhere? Are you firemen or something?
The life of a Disco owner is in the slow lane, start the engine, close the door, put on your seatbelt, check your mirrors and reverse out of your parking spot.
If you need to be in that much of a hurry maybe you need to start backing into your parking spot?
Or maybe get up a few min. earlier for work?
I'm just sayin'...

timdunbar 07-31-2011 06:33 PM

Spike I am not usually in a hurry, its just that the few times that I was I noticed this. I have owned exactly one other automatic transmission in my life and this concerned me. If it is normal, then I am no longer concerned, if it isn't then I am back to freak out mode, lol.

Spike555 07-31-2011 07:21 PM

LOL!!!
I have never noticed it in any car I have owned, but then I have never been in such a hurry.
I guess we need more DII owners to try this and chime in on their results.
Personally, I would not worry about it, you figured out what makes it happen, so just avoid that.

lordmorpheus 07-31-2011 08:49 PM

I knew I would catch flack from Spike or Mike for not waiting the desired 15 minutes to warm up before moving. ;)

If you really must know, the only times I have thrown it in reverse immediately after starting are the mornings when I am running late for work already because I spent too much time in the bathroom performing my morning constitutional.:cool:

Spike555 07-31-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus (Post 260302)
I knew I would catch flack from Spike or Mike for not waiting the desired 15 minutes to warm up before moving. ;)

If you really must know, the only times I have thrown it in reverse immediately after starting are the mornings when I am running late for work already because I spent too much time in the bathroom performing my morning constitutional.:cool:

LOL!!!

And my dad always told me to do that at work, you know your going to do it so you might as well get paid for it.

dgi 07 08-01-2011 11:20 AM

to the op, automatic transmission work on fluid pressure. When you start the vehicle and throw it into revers, the pump hasnt built pressure yet. thas why your are getting that space inbetween reverse gear and actually movement. Most if not all automatics do it. even my wife's car does it, and that thing is brand new.

timdunbar 08-01-2011 05:15 PM

Well it seems I am retarded, if everyone's truck does the same thing then it must be normal. As I said this is my second automatic transmission so forgive my ignorance.