Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLS to coils: How does Autologic work? Trying to not get ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SLS to coils: How does Autologic work? Trying to not get ripped off

Converted to coils recently and the battery drain has to stop.

One small local euro mechanic shop has autologic and I've spoken to them recently about taking the discovery in. At first he acted like he didn't know if it was possible to do what I wanted him to do and now he's expecting me to drop the LR off for the day. I don't want to pay this shop for hours of labor that mostly involved them figuring out how to do what I need them to do. What exactly is the process for reprogamming? How long should it take?

Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The indy shop that did mine earlier this summer took (I think) 1/2 hour labor to do it. I also had them turn off superlock at the same time.

I don't know what software they used, but it certainly didn't seem like a big deal for them to do it.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Mudding

I have heard .5 to 1 hour from a lot of people and it's entirely possible that I could get there at the end of the day to him saying it only took them a little while and be charged an appropriate amount. I would just like to be able to know a little more about the process if I get a bill for ~3 hours of "work". I even asked if 3:30 would be fine but he insists on me bringing it in in the morning.

The owners/mechanics are pretty much just old retired guys who work when they want. I respect them for that.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 893 Likes on 644 Posts

I had it done a year or two ago. Took 5 minutes max but most shops have a minimum charge. Half hour labor at 90 bucks an hour wouldn't be too bad. Seems like a lot for no more than they do but if you are having experiences like I had 45 bucks is cheap to get rid of the problem. My shop did it for free because they failed to do it years ago when they did my air to coils conversion.

And I too had them disable superlock.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
I had it done a year or two ago. Took 5 minutes max but most shops have a minimum charge. Half hour labor at 90 bucks an hour wouldn't be too bad. Seems like a lot for no more than they do but if you are having experiences like I had 45 bucks is cheap to get rid of the problem. My shop did it for free because they failed to do it years ago when they did my air to coils conversion.

And I too had them disable superlock.
What is problem with superlock?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I own an autologic. It takes 5-10 minutes, But most shops charge in hourly increments. If he charges more than an hour, you are getting ripped off. Super lock is when you press your alarm lock button twice, it is activated. It makes it so if the fob breaks or it's lost you can't open or start the car. I always turn it off on the D2s I touch.