Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so many questions, so little space

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so many questions, so little space

I am looking at the idea of buying a discovery to install a cummins 4bt in. So what is the general consenus 1st generation or 2nd generation. I kind of like what appears to be inclosed nuckle axles on the 1st gen machines, but traction control sounds awfully cool also. Speaking of which, does any one know if the traction control is a function of the ABS system, or isit tied into the engine computer also. If I put a cummins engine in I'm trying to figure out how much grief the electronics on a 2nd gen will cause.
What is the deal with the fifty million transfer case high range ratio options I see discussed on line, what do these things actually have in them?
As far as I could tell the axles were mostly 3.54 gears, is that a correct assumption?
Now for the tranny, for starters are the slush boxes these appear to mostly have come with any good? Or should I pitch it and put in a dodge 47rh I have in the shed, that would be the easiest because I can use all stock dodge truck parts to mate the engine and tranny together. That raises the question of keeping the stock transfer case or just putting in the NP205 I'v got. I like the looks of LRs super low range but that under drive high range they appear to have looks like a real mileage killer.
I'd love to hear any ideas you guys have, thanks.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: so many questions, so little space

Well the diesel converstion is very expensive when done properly, around $10,000.
The ZF transmission is bullit proof, so is the t-case.
You have four gears on the t-case, Hi, Lo, Lo locked and Hi locked.
Yes the traction control uses the ABS, very problematic. Any problems with the brakes and the TC will not work.
I do not know which engine that is but if it is anything bigger than a I-4 it wont fit.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Rock Crawling

The stock transmission isthe best part of these Discovery's. Very reliable and smooth shifting. ABS has it's own computer. From what I hear the differentials do not hold up well tohigh amounts torque. You would probably want to swap the entire running gear. First check your local engine swap and emmision's laws. When you plug in to the computer at the emisions check station they can tell it is not stock, that and the sound of it.

Willie

Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might be cheaper do import a TDI disco. spike didn't you post something a few weeks ago about importing one? I tried to find that post but could not.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Three Wheeling

I forgot to mention that my dad owns a complete machine shop and that I am a full time diesel mechanic, so the the conversion expenses you guys mentioned don't apply. I'm mostly trying to decide if I should machine up a set of adapters to fit the stock disco tranny, or swap the whole thing out. What worries me about keeping it is the torque converter probably has some outrageously high stall speed that my cummins four cylinder won't like. It is governed to a max speed of 2700 rpm. And I also wonder how many sensors on the gas engine are used to determine the shift points(I'm assuming this is at least partially an electronic tranny). If the stock T case is a dependable unit I could machine an adapter to bolt it to my 47rh tranny. The only problem that raises is if the T case has an under drive in high range like they appear to it won't get along with my low reving engine on the road.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The cost to do a conversion od a D2 is out of this world, I only know of one or two shops that even come close to make a computer set up for the tranny, since you would be removing it along with the engine.
How many horse power are you looking at?
If you are are considering a D2, consider replacing the engine, tranny and t/case.
A D1 would be easier because you still have a ZF tranny but it is cable activated unlike the D2's ECU.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the advice, that was kind of the gut feeling I was having, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't tossing a bunch of good stuff and regreting it later. I am mostly used to dodge diesel stuff, so I have collected all the plunder to build what I consider to be the ultamate power train... Cummins four cylinder turbo engine @aprox. 180 hp, dodge 47rh transmition, and a new process 205 transfer case.
I like the idea of having traction control, but I'm trying to find out if removing the entire factory drive train will freak out the ABS system and make it inoperable.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Mudding

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!Im rating this a 15 outta 10 on the hard to do list

Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I couldn't help but smile when I read the last post, you would be amazed what can be done with a complete line up of lathes, cnc mills, tig mig and smaw welding equipment, and a little determination.
If you guys want to see conversions that are actually hard to pull off check out fordcummins.com, one of my friends worked there fora while putting cummins engines in late model ford trucks and having all the electronics play nicely together when they were done.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling

How about putting a cummins 4bt in a Nissan Patrol.

http://www.rmp-o.com/phpbb/viewtopic...&highlight=

Willie

Quick Reply: so many questions, so little space