Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some dumb Disco II questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:12 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some dumb Disco II questions...

Hello everyone

I just bought a 2001 Discovery SE, and have a few questions about some minor things:

-Does the digital clock in the dash light up?
-Is the radio volume supposed to increase with your speed?

Thanks for any help.
Brian

Old 07-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: some dumb Disco II questions...

Yes there is a light on the clock. No the radio volume is not suppose to go up with the speed. Rove around the forum and see what the solutions for the light are. The bulb is the usual culprit. With land rovers there are no dumb questions. Let me know the volume speed answer if you find one. that is a new one on me.
I will repeat my battle cry with the disco. that is maintenance is the most important thing you can do. I have a 96 with 130k had a few minor problems. No major problems. One thing to check that is important is the date of manufacture on the tires. 4 years is about the max. That applies to all tires. Check the maintenance records with the vehicle. Make sure they are up to date. Learn as much as you can about doing things yourself, even if all you can do is look. Inspection of your vehicle lets you learn what is normal, and then it is easier to identify what is adnormal.
There are alot of very smart people on the forum. Look around and check things out. Got to love a rover, duboff

Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old chevrolet pickup (1997) had a feature on the radio that when it was on as vechael speed was faster (louder) or windows down it would turn up volume. I have a 98 D1 and don't have this feature but you might.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
5th Gear

I have a 2003 Disco and need to replace the tires. The Goodyears that are on it now are 255/55/R18. I want to know what the widest tire(265-275) and largest profile (65-75) I can upgrade to without modification to the suspension or lifting it. I am looking at the Terra Grapplers.

Any information will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Marc

Old 07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off nice hi-jack, anyway 255/55-18 is already a big size on your d2. 265/65-18 will barley fit without triming, however if you go off road you will get a lot of rubbing. The tire size you have now is a perfect fit, if you want more of an agressive look just get some a/t's or m/t's if you can find them. Also you best bet would be to go down to 16" wheels, a 265/75-16 would be real close to a 265/65-18. Good luck, oh yea one more thing, just lift it, haha.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:18 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: brianwi11iams

Hello everyone

I just bought a 2001 Discovery SE, and have a few questions about some minor things:

-Does the digital clock in the dash light up?
-Is the radio volume supposed to increase with your speed?

Thanks for any help.
Brian
I have an '01 SE myself and yes the clock lights up (I guess yours is broke if it doesn't)
Also my volume does increase with speed. I didn't really notice it until I had mine for a few days.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 PM
4th Gear

Yeah the amp volume kicks up as the vehicle picks up speed. The amp is tied into I believe the ECU for the speed sensor. My infinity has it also. Supposed to level of road noise with the volume. When you stop it should come back down. The clock lights up.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling

no such thing as a dumb disco question. The factory original tires(size) is still the best. If it is for an aggressive, get a more aggressive pattern. Things to remember when changes sizes on tires and wheels. Make sure you keep the same diameter of the original tires. the reasons are these going to a larger diameter wheel will change your torque at the ground. second. it also messes with the speedometer. it should be recalabrated for the new size to be accurate.
If you are looking for more off road changes then lift it. There is already a 16 inch tire movement with the stock tires. If that is what you are looking at, look at changing the bushings, shocks, and springs. Hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff