Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some very strange events happened this morning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Some very strange events happened this morning!!!

I took my Disco into the shop so they could diagnose what my problem was. They hooked it up, fast forward an hour and a half, and they bring me the bad news.

Drumroll Please.......

The ECM is bad. I can't say I was surprised. He said just what I had thought...the drivers for the #8 injector were failing, it was holding the #8 injector open,and it was dumping fuel into the cylinder. Hence why it was flooding out, msifiring, etc.

But that's not even the good part.

They got it all back together, and the guy who drove it up for me made the comment, "I don't know. It's not missing anymore. Maybe it came back to life after I unplugged it and scanned it." I said thanks, hopped in and got it on the road.

Nothing. Not a flash, not a blink, not a flicker. The SES light is OUT. It's also running WAAAAAAY better. I don't know what the hell they did, whether they flashed the ECM or what, but they did something, and my misfire has gone the way of the dodo bird and 8 Tracks. GONE!!!!!!!

Now, I still have the rest of my lights, but this misfire was the main problem.

Maybe it's fixed, maybe it's just temporary, but I know what the problem is, or at least was.

I gotta go, I'm late for work.

Aaron

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

weird, but if it wasn't weird it wouldn't be one of those unexplained paranormal land rover electrical issues now would it? Well maybe the ghost in your machine is a friendly one!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been keeping up on your dilema Aaron, but if it's been flooding out you should check your oil for contamination. If it smells the least bit gassy, it won't be able to protect the bearings as it should. Time for an oil change if so.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear she's feeling better...

Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Discover' Carolina
I haven't been keeping up on your dilema Aaron, but if it's been flooding out you should check your oil for contamination. If it smells the least bit gassy, it won't be able to protect the bearings as it should. Time for an oil change if so.
Yeah, X2. Crankcase Explosions are not fun to deal with!

Congrats on becoming friends with your "Gremlin."

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with everything said. Change your oil just to be safe. I'm wondering the the connection they used to scan the computer wasn't dirty or loose and causing your problem. But as the old saying goes, never look a gift horse in the mouth. Don't try to explain such good fortune.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
TReK

like all women rovers get pissy for a short while for no good or apparent reason what so ever.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
like all women rovers get pissy for a short while for no good or apparent reason what so ever.

...especially when they're gassy, like some other posters have suggested!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I took her to work. SES light came on when I was getting on the freeway. And it did just that. It stayed on. It did not flash once. It gets up to speed a lot faster, there is power where there was no power before.

I think it's fixed.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sorry, got sidetracked.

"as the old saying goes, never look a gift horse in the mouth. Don't try to explain such good fortune."

I like that saying. I am just going to go with it, and move onto the next thing on the list, an oil change. Then, after that, I'm going to try and get this transmission patch to stop leaking. The fill and drain plugs are leaking too. I wonder what the hell that is about.

After that, I want to get my SLS working. The compressor works fine, found that out when it mysteriously started working the other day.

Then, I'm free and clear.

Quick Reply: Some very strange events happened this morning!!!