Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Someone DISCONNECTED my Check Engine Light ! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/someone-disconnected-my-check-engine-light-70554/)

Tim P. 11-25-2014 11:02 PM

Someone DISCONNECTED my Check Engine Light !

Picked up my third Land Rover today, a 2003 DII, luckily for very cheap because I can already tell it's going to give me all kinds of headaches.

Body and interior were in great shape, odometer shows 81k, engine runs decent, tranny smooth, etc...

Everything looked ok on the test drive until I hooked it up to the scanner. Showed a bad 02 sensor, but strangely no Check Engine light was on. So I shut the engine off, then turned the ignition on to see what lights up on the dash. Sure enough, everything EXCEPT the CEL worked fine during the "bootup" sequence.

So, looks to me like either the bulb burnt out, or I'm guessing more likely, someone disconnected the CEL to cover it up.

I know I'm probably going to have to pull the dash off to check everything out and find out for sure, but thought I'd post up here and see if anyone has suggestions on where to look for loose wires, etc?

Thanks.

-Tim

LRJtech 11-26-2014 03:47 AM

The bulb most likely was removed. I've only ever one or two actually burn out. Found a ton of them with it removed all together. Pretty easy to pull the cluster and check.

drowssap 11-26-2014 06:14 AM

i "believe" warm lights are LED's not bulbs. so either someone covered it or broke it.

DustyLBottoms 11-26-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 492706)
i "believe" warm lights are LED's not bulbs. so either someone covered it or broke it.

They are LEDs, in fact, they are part or a larger LED group, so if you "disconnect" one you'd also disconnect another 2-3. It's burned out.

Per RAVE: "Within the four warning lamp packs there are 28 lamps. A long life bulb illuminates the high beam warning lamp and the rest of the warning lamps are illuminated by Light Emitting Diodes (LED's). All warning lamp legends are invisible until lit. When lit the symbols are illuminated on a black background."

The first warning lamp pack is located in the top left-hand side of the instrument pack and contains the following warning lamps:
l Traction control warning lamp.
l Transfer box in neutral warning lamp.
l Differential lock warning lamp
l Overspeed warning lamp (activated for gulf market only).
l Brake system warning lamp.
l Hill Descent Control (HDC) information warning lamp.
l Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/ SERVICE ENGINE SOON warning lamp.

Tim P. 11-26-2014 12:27 PM

Perfect, thanks for the info!

-Tim

04duxlr 11-26-2014 12:36 PM

Just leave it out. They're always lit on these things anyway. Very annoying.

me6067 11-27-2014 06:53 AM

It's an led, I had the same problem when I first got mine also. Someone had stuck a piece of electrical tape between the symbol card and the led. This way you couldn't see the check engine light was on and the electrical tape was completely hidden.