Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Spare tire (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/spare-tire-15500/)

AK Rover 08-30-2008 03:45 PM

Spare tire

Will a 245/75r16 tire fit on the factory spare carrier?

Spike555 08-30-2008 03:53 PM

RE: Spare tire

Yes. The spare tire carrier doesnt care what size the tire is as long as the lug holes line up.

AK Rover 08-30-2008 04:07 PM

I was concerned that the taller tire would rest on the bumper and not allow the lug holes to line. Pulled my tire cover off for the first time since i bought the truck and found I have a brand new BFG all-terrain for a spare. Looks like it has never even touched pavement. The other tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T. Not quite aggressive enough for me.

Spike555 08-30-2008 04:13 PM

I see what you were asking now. I did not think about that. I believe that there is a spare tire re-locating kit to to allow for bigger tires.

llesra 08-30-2008 04:55 PM

ive managed to fit a 285/75/16 tire on the back door of my d1

Urban Panzer 08-31-2008 12:32 AM

Its surprising how much bigger even a more aggresive tyre is when you hang one on the rear door. I have the Land Rover stainless lockable wheel cover, with my standard tyres (when i bought the car) the metal shroud around the tyre basically came all the way round and the 2 ends met itself in the middle, and the was about an 1 1/2" gap beteen that and the top of therear bumper.

I have now fitted General AT 2's all round, and whilst out on a trip I met a very nasty rock and destroyed one, so having to change to the spare (which was normal road tyre) I then tried to fit the cover back on the AT2, and it didnt fit !! doh!!!....

I since have had to modify the cover to fit the AT2's and now it literally clears the top of the rear bumper by 10 mm and where as the cover met itself at the bottom, there is now about a 3" gap.......so although the Grabbers are the same size 255/55 R18, they are actually considerably bigger because of the aggresive deeper tread on them...

Just a little nonsense info lol..........

Willie 00D2 08-31-2008 01:00 PM

I have a 2000 dII with new 245/75/16 BFG A/Ts. The spare tire rests on the rear bumper. I can feel it drag on the bumper a little when I open or close the rear door. I could drill the mounting holes so the tire mount would be higher but I think I will leave it like it is. I takes some stress off the door. These are heavy tires.

Willie

Disco2Guy 08-31-2008 01:53 PM

You can always flip the spare tire carrier if you need a little more room. I believe the center bolt (on the carrier) won't line up so a new hole should be drilled to line up with the existing hole on the door. Others have drilled the new hole in the door but I wouldn't want to do that. You'll also need to make a small notch so the wiper can rotate all the way.