Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   SRC jeep bumpers on and DII (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/src-jeep-bumpers-dii-72186/)

all4mee 02-25-2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 506150)
If your mall crawling it doesn't matter I guess. When you are in a recovery situation you need mounts that can hold a spaceship to the ground.

The factory mounts are not strong enough for recovery at all and would fail. His mounts are not the same as the aftermarket mounts. Take a look at the picture I have attached and his mounts the differences are obvious.

I would agree but the weak link will still be the paper thin Land Rover frame that that box mount bolted to.

ArmyRover 02-25-2015 06:23 PM

You'd be surprised at how robust that frame is.

Anyways, I would revisit your mount system and make some changes it would be shame to cause some easily avoidable damage to your truck or someone elses. From the looks of your welding skills it shouldn't be to tough for you to make up some changes

cybercop 02-25-2015 07:58 PM

ArmyRover,

Is your concern that he is just using a single angle bracket on each side with a single welded seam?

Do you think a steel box tubing should have been used with welds on all 4 sides?

Not trying to question anyone, just trying to learn. Welding is my new fascination!

My6speedz 02-25-2015 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 506147)
No one cares about the fact that its a jeep bumper. Others have done that before and I'm on the record in their thread saying it looked good. I and assume 6speed are referring to your mount solution.

I am, I could care less what it is made for. Don't even care if it is butt ass ugly. I'm not going to change your mind so I'm not even going to try. But you need to realize that you have to be responsible for your actions when they could possibly involve a catstrophic failure and hurt someone else.

TL: DR

Your a opportunistic trial lawyers wet-dream.

My6speedz 02-25-2015 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by all4mee (Post 506144)
Post like this remind me why we have this. 6Speed make sure you check yours

Man... you sure got me good.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/6d/6d8f...9622d20c7d.jpg

not...

Why don't you make sure you are standing next to it when its time for the truck to get yanked out. Mkay thanks ;)

ArmyRover 02-25-2015 09:19 PM

The single plate on each side is my concern, the weld quality looks good.

I would use a plate on both sides of the frame horn, and a joining piece across the top/bottom or both to tie the side plates together.

The way it is set up currently a recovery side load would likely fold the single plates over allowing the bumper to shift into the body or tear loose.

My6speedz 02-25-2015 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 506178)
The single plate on each side is my concern, the weld quality looks good.

I would use a plate on both sides of the frame horn, and a joining piece across the top/bottom or both to tie the side plates together.

The way it is set up currently a recovery side load would likely fold the single plates over allowing the bumper to shift into the body or tear loose.

You could do it several different ways to achieve this and it is not even that much work. It will really want to bend if you are trying to winch the vehicle at an angle without a snatch block redirecting the pull so that it is straight on.

ArmyRover 02-25-2015 09:44 PM

I agree there is more than one way.

all4mee 02-26-2015 08:03 AM

OK so i'm gathering to make the bracket sturdy enough to winch it needs to be boxed? what are your thoughts on the mounting points on the frame? should i still use the stock 2 bolts on each side or drill the frame for a third behind the two?

Thanks this is still a work in progress

Alex_M 02-26-2015 08:08 AM

So, how thick of a pipe would you have to use to weld up your own tubular bumper? I mean, most of these you see don't look that thick, about the thickness of a high quality steel exhaust pipe. Some cheaper tubular bumpers (even with winch mounts) that I've seen are even more thin than that. Could you weld one up out of a thick high quality exhaust pipe and paint it?