Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   SRC jeep bumpers on and DII (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/src-jeep-bumpers-dii-72186/)

ZGPhoto 02-26-2015 08:15 AM

Oh my God, I just looked at the brackets holding the bumper on.

Terrifying

lighting 02-26-2015 08:27 AM

Can someone please post a picture of the originals (oem) bumpers mounted and the off-road (safary) that LR offered, if it's stronger then all the negative talk will be done if its stringer then you may have a valid poinT. I can't give my opinion on safety, however, I'm a AWS Certified welder and without seeing in person and inspecting it I can't give "my opinion", it does looks good

ZGPhoto 02-26-2015 08:43 AM

I don't think people are necessarily questioning the weld strength, but the fact that there's one 4"x4" 1/4" plate of steel holding the bumper to each frame rail.

dusty1 02-26-2015 08:45 AM

Weld is not in question

If there is anything that is worth over engineering it's stuff like this
Saddle the frame as far back as possible with 1/4" or better. 3 or 4 through bolts per side, to sandwich the frame with your saddle.

It took me longer to make my mounting brackets than it did for me to make my bumper.

ArmyRover 02-26-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M (Post 506213)
So, how thick of a pipe would you have to use to weld up your own tubular bumper? I mean, most of these you see don't look that thick, about the thickness of a high quality steel exhaust pipe. Some cheaper tubular bumpers (even with winch mounts) that I've seen are even more thin than that. Could you weld one up out of a thick high quality exhaust pipe and paint it?

The tube portion isn't the part you need to worry about as much. It's the winch mount and bumper mount that are more critical. Also make sure that any recovery points are tied in where there is strength, like at the winch mount or bumper mount area. Bolt in is fine with the proper backing plate etc for the recovery points.

Using that thin tube since it's not really structural will be fine as long as you never hit anything. I would not recommend it however. Remember off road clipping a tree or rock with the corner of the bumper is not that uncommon. Hitting it on the corner if it is thin wall and unsupported will bend that back into the tire/body/whatever causing damage.

ArmyRover 02-26-2015 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by dusty1 (Post 506220)
Weld is not in question

If there is anything that is worth over engineering it's stuff like this
Saddle the frame as far back as possible with 1/4" or better. 3 or 4 through bolts per side, to sandwich the frame with your saddle.

It took me longer to make my mounting brackets than it did for me to make my bumper.

Just as a FYI I would listen to Dusty, he built a bumper himself that is quite possibly the most indestructible thing I have ever seen.

all4mee 02-26-2015 09:43 AM

Ok so boxing them in it is. That won't be that hard as I have to take them off and have them power coated anyway. There is plenty of room in there to do that.

Alex_M 02-26-2015 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 506221)
The tube portion isn't the part you need to worry about as much. It's the winch mount and bumper mount that are more critical. Also make sure that any recovery points are tied in where there is strength, like at the winch mount or bumper mount area. Bolt in is fine with the proper backing plate etc for the recovery points.

Using that thin tube since it's not really structural will be fine as long as you never hit anything. I would not recommend it however. Remember off road clipping a tree or rock with the corner of the bumper is not that uncommon. Hitting it on the corner if it is thin wall and unsupported will bend that back into the tire/body/whatever causing damage.

OK, that makes sense. I don't have a welder myself, so I guess I'll swing by a local metal shop to see if we can draw up some designs and figure out cost. Thanks!

My6speedz 02-28-2015 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by all4mee (Post 506232)
Ok so boxing them in it is. That won't be that hard as I have to take them off and have them power coated anyway. There is plenty of room in there to do that.

You are adding extra bolt holes? Also, swak6287 says grade 5 or 8, I disagree I would only use grade 8, the price difference for just a few of them wouldn't be that much and it is completely worth it. A grade 5 bolt will begin to yield earlier and completely fail before a grade 8 bolt even beings to deform.

ls1morethanyou 02-28-2015 11:05 PM

Not a bad look, just needs some adjustments. is the winch tray bottom mount only or side mount as well?