Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Front Drive Shaft Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started Front Drive Shaft Rebuild

hey All,

Just started my front driveshaft rebuild. Pulled it off and noticed it has already been "rebuilt" once before. The front U-Joint has a grease fitting on it but the 2 back ones in the double cardon do not. So anyways...

Finished replacing the front u-joint. I was just wondering, it seems to be really stiff. I know its new but I just want a sanity check that there is no way to screw up the install. I have been following the .PDF that is readilly available here but it does not mention how the newer U-joints feel. I did fully grease it as well and everything seems to be in line.

Also, upon completeion do I need to get my shaft re-balanced? It does not say anything in the procedure as to wether or not this is required.

Thanks,

-Drcox

Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your shaft hasn't been built before, the front u-joint always had a grease fitting.
Make sure to remove the plug for the slip shaft, install a grease fitting and lube, then reinstall the plug. Do the same for the rear shaft.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
remove the plug for the slip shaft, install a grease fitting and lube, then reinstall the plug.
Mike, I've seen this before and just thought mmmmm - nothing. I'm running a TW now, However I am curious, why can't you leave the grease fitting in the old one? will make that much difference in the balance?

Thanks

Robert

Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the u joint should definitely move freely. when you reassembled them, did you use a vice? when i did mine, i think too much pressure restricted it a little. you dont want to push them down any farther that where the clip goes. is there any gap between the clip and any of the joints?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Three Wheeling

try tapping it (not the u-joint, just around it) while moving it back and forth. It may loosen it up. I just finished mine today. What a pain in the rear diff. Chin up though, you will have tough times with it but a beer break always helped me. Don't forget to change out the centering ball.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys for the words,

Yeah I have a new centering ball kit...But I have not even gotten that far. I am still working on the 3rd Joint, the rear double cardon. Its a big pain in the but and does not want to push out...But yes beer breaks and relaxing music are proving helpful.

I just want to mkae sure that I dont ruin something with all this time and effort trying to "prevent" A problem.

The Front U joint that I have already re-assembled is right up against both retaining clips. I already pulled it apart once to make sure that there is no needle bearing dropped in there but it went back together just as stiff.

Some of you have mentioned a Vise... Is that easier than a U-Joint removal/installation tool?

-DrCox

Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we dont have them there tools that actually are for the job you are doing. we use stuff that may also be used to build a deck or redo a roof to work on our rovers!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
we dont have them there tools that actually are for the job you are doing. we use stuff that may also be used to build a deck or redo a roof to work on our rovers!
Mostly i use my structural steel tools, have used my 1/2in. Ratchet Spud for many things

Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Night Train
Mike, I've seen this before and just thought mmmmm - nothing. I'm running a TW now, However I am curious, why can't you leave the grease fitting in the old one? will make that much difference in the balance?

Thanks

Robert
They are prone to being torn off when off wheeling.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DrCox
Thanks guys for the words,

Yeah I have a new centering ball kit...But I have not even gotten that far. I am still working on the 3rd Joint, the rear double cardon. Its a big pain in the but and does not want to push out...But yes beer breaks and relaxing music are proving helpful.

I just want to mkae sure that I dont ruin something with all this time and effort trying to "prevent" A problem.

The Front U joint that I have already re-assembled is right up against both retaining clips. I already pulled it apart once to make sure that there is no needle bearing dropped in there but it went back together just as stiff.

Some of you have mentioned a Vise... Is that easier than a U-Joint removal/installation tool?

-DrCox
Threadjack.

What size Terra Grapplers are you running? Do you have a lift?

Quick Reply: Started Front Drive Shaft Rebuild