Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State of engine swaps/builds in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Trailhead is using tons of parts and most of them are custom... Unfortunately I can not just drop all of those part numbers down because they don’t have part numbers yet. We do believe the kit when it will be sold from Trailhead is going to be around $6,000... What I can do is if you Gentleman have any questions, I can bring them to the guys and let you know what we experienced in that scenario.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@LK8parts
The Trailhead is using tons of parts and most of them are custom... Unfortunately I can not just drop all of those part numbers down because they don’t have part numbers yet. We do believe the kit when it will be sold from Trailhead is going to be around $6,000... What I can do is if you Gentleman have any questions, I can bring them to the guys and let you know what we experienced in that scenario.
Fair enough. In that case, what parts are having to be custom made? Bell housing adapter and engine mounts are a no brainer, any other large hardware worth mentioning? like serpentine component bracketry or just small things like looming/tubing brackets, etc?

Biggest question is what is being done about the management sensors. Have you been able to adapt the factory rover sensors to existing locations on the LS, or if not, have you found sensors that will fit the LS and talk to the bosch computer?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Mudding

Ill see if I can get a picture of all the custom parts to help give an idea on how much is involved. You will have to change one connector over but the rest of wiring harness is factory. The beauty of this kit is the truck thinks is a rover v8. No Check engine lights.

The following users liked this post:
dgi 07 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Ill see if I can get a picture of all the custom parts to help give an idea on how much is involved. You will have to change one connector over but the rest of wiring harness is factory. The beauty of this kit is the truck thinks is a rover v8. No Check engine lights.
Right on!

Old 01-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
which is ridiculous. there's nothing inherently more reliable about the average LS than a well done Rover v8..
Really? Ok. I'll bite. Let's see, Oil pump destroying covers. Moving sleeves. head gaskets. A finicky at best designed cooling system. I'm sorry, I love my truck as much as the next guy (8 years worth of love), but part of that love is realism. Facing the fact that the motors in our trucks aren't exactly the gold standard for reliability.
Yes, the English have been playing the the rover V8 for years, but you rarely see that experience here. The Chevy V8 has been put in everything from Miata's to Hummer's. There is a reason for that. You can blow up a LM7 and find another one on ebay for $1500. You can take it just about anywhere in the continental United States and find an oil filter, thermostat, etc.
I'd stand corrected if you can find me a dropout motor from a Discovery 2 for $1500 were you felt comfortable enough just throwing it your truck without at least doing head-gaskets and an oil pump.
But hey, if that's your belief, then I'm fine with it. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
It's almost like you read my thread....
More than once. Used it as a base point. Between your thread and the Chevy swap in a P38 Range Rover, I developed my own ideas about doing the Chevy swap. A month of calls, emails, working over the details with a couple co-workers, (I'm a tech for Benz) and thanks to Charlie_V, a very expensive call to Australia, we figured that the Trailhead was probably the lest complicated way. (No offense)

Steve, I would be interested in the parts picture as well for the swap.

Last edited by dgi 07; 01-10-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:38 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Is there any way you could make The Kit so the truck thinks it's a FERRARI V8 instead?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

The beauty of this kit is the truck thinks is a rover v8. No Check engine lights.
Obviously...it doesn't "think" it's a rover V8...if the CEL isn't coming on daily...lol.

Looking forward to pictures.

Brian.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM
Mudding

Haha... I may be the only Disco 2 in Western NY who doesn't have the CEL on, But don't worry the 3 amigo's ride with me everywhere I go.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Haha... I may be the only Disco 2 in Western NY who doesn't have the CEL on........
Meh, it was on soo long, the bulb's burnt out!!!!

Old 01-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Really? Ok. I'll bite. Let's see, Oil pump destroying covers. Moving sleeves. head gaskets. A finicky at best designed cooling system. I'm sorry, I love my truck as much as the next guy (8 years worth of love), but part of that love is realism. Facing the fact that the motors in our trucks aren't exactly the gold standard for reliability.
Yes, the English have been playing the the rover V8 for years, but you rarely see that experience here. The Chevy V8 has been put in everything from Miata's to Hummer's. There is a reason for that. You can blow up a LM7 and find another one on ebay for $1500. You can take it just about anywhere in the continental United States and find an oil filter, thermostat, etc.
I'd stand corrected if you can find me a dropout motor from a Discovery 2 for $1500 were you felt comfortable enough just throwing it your truck without at least doing head-gaskets and an oil pump.
Yes to this. I think my wife’s quote was, “If we’re going to keep that truck you better do whatever you need to so you don’t make that face you make everytime I say, ‘I’m going to take the Discovery.’ It’s not healthy.” And, that’s fair. Anytime I know the disco is out on the road and I’m not in it, I am not a man at ease. I think the LS swap might be the only way that feeling goes away.

The following users liked this post:
dgi 07 (01-15-2018)

Quick Reply: State of engine swaps/builds in 2018?