Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering damper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really just looking tore place but also upgrade without braking the bank. I did not even know about RYC and such. When I got the billstein I got it from Atlantic British and just slapped it on.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFDisco ll
I'm really just looking tore place but also upgrade without braking the bank. I did not even know about RYC and such. When I got the billstein I got it from Atlantic British and just slapped it on.
I have a disco 2 if that makes a difference

Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Id suggest the OME or TF then. I run the TF on 2 of my D2's, but the OME is definitely a quality item as well.

FWIW, I sell the TF for $55/delivered for Forum members, OME for $80/delivered

Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

What's wrong with a new OEM unit?

Old 10-16-2015, 01:32 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

I have been using the TF damper for the past 2 years... going well and no issues.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I may be using the terminology RTC incorrecty here.

Let me corret myself, the wheel does not return the way it did with the OEM unit, you have to turn the wheel back after each turn.
You cant take a corner and just let off the wheel the wheel it will stay fixed it that position. Call it what you will.
The post behind me said the same thing, somehow I'm always the bad guy.

[eQUOTE=acg;539075]I have been using the TF damper for the past 2 years... going well and no issues.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I may be using the terminology RTC incorrecty here.

Let me corret myself, the wheel does not return the way it did with the OEM unit, you have to turn the wheel back after each turn.
You cant take a corner and just let off the wheel the wheel it will stay fixed it that position. Call it what you will.
The post behind me said the same thing, somehow I'm always the bad guy.
No one said you were the bad guy, you just told him to get something that didn't exist and stated it pretty matter-of-fact like. You would've been the first to call someone else out in the same scenario as you commonly do.

With that being said I do not recall my OEM dampers ever bouncing back like an RTC does. Dampers are designed to dampen and they do not act like a pressurized shock. If you compress an OEM damper, it will remain compressed unless you physically pull it back. Only an RTC damper will bounce back. And the OEM is not an RTC.

The reason the wheel returns back is because when the wheels are rolling forward, if you are not applying pressure to the wheel to hold it, they will want to force the truck straight. It is the same in any car. Let go of the wheel and it will eventually roll back to center. It wont bounce back quickly like an RTC damper does, but it will make it's way back there eventually. Even my D2's with the TF damper do it. I am not a scientist, but Im sure we can find a guy with a bunch of papers in frames on his wall to explain the reasoning behind this better than I tried to.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I would recommend to the original poster getting your alignment checked. From previous experience on my modded first gen RX-7, I had issues with the steering wheel not returning to center after turns until I tweaked the caster angles quite a bit.
Unfortunately, I don't have any alignment printouts from my Landy to see if the caster is even adjustable. Barring that, I would check for any bent steering linkages.