Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel redo option

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Steering wheel redo option

So, here is the full story. My disco had a hole at the 12 position on the wheel, which was overly nasty. I contacted a company that I had worked with before, Redline leather, and inquired about having them make a cover. While they were making a template, I found a great condition wheel at a breaker yard. Anyhow, the new leather arrived, and I began the tear down, and just finished the new leather all put on. I am sending them a DIY that they will put up on their webpage, but I figured I would post some pics on here, to show the highlights. This first pic shows the cover being removed, then old and new covers with the wheel with no cover, the cover loose on, then the new cover. It is really soft leather, I have a great one on it now, so I might end up selling this one, but its a good option for those who want to fix their nasty wheel.
I mostly wanted to let people know this option is now available for our discos. This black perforated leather and sierra, it is about as close as possible to the original colors. The black is right on with the stock wheel, the sierra is just a hint lighter. Once the disco is back home, I will update this with it next to the factory one. I suppose a person could forgo the two color and just do the black perforated.

Mostly after working with them on this new deign, we have options.

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel redo option-taking-off-old-cover.jpg   Steering wheel redo option-old-new.jpg   Steering wheel redo option-cover-loose.jpg   Steering wheel redo option-new-cover-.jpg   Steering wheel redo option-stitching.jpg  

Last edited by emncfi; 05-16-2017 at 01:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mskembo (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by emncfi
So, here is the full story. My disco had a hole at the 12 position on the wheel, which was overly nasty. I contacted a company that I had worked with before, Redline leather, and inquired about having them make a cover. While they were making a template, I found a great condition wheel at a breaker yard. Anyhow, the new leather arrived, and I began the tear down, and just finished the new leather all put on. I am sending them a DIY that they will put up on their webpage, but I figured I would post some pics on here, to show the highlights. This first pic shows the cover being removed, then old and new covers with the wheel with no cover, the cover loose on, then the new cover. It is really soft leather, I have a great one on it now, so I might end up selling this one, but its a good option for those who want to fix their nasty wheel.
I mostly wanted to let people know this option is now available for our discos. This black perforated leather and sierra, it is about as close as possible to the original colors. The black is right on with the stock wheel, the sierra is just a hint lighter. Once the disco is back home, I will update this with it next to the factory one. I suppose a person could forgo the two color and just do the black perforated.

Mostly after working with them on this new deign, we have options.
looks great. How about sharing a DIY with your fellow Disco Mainiacs

Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Mudding

I'm about 1/2 way through the DIY, the disco is at the "off site" car storage place. We keep a few off property since we have a 3 car garage and 7 cars, they come and go on a rotation, I need to get a few more pics but need the disco home to get them

Think of it as a "coming attraction"

Old 05-16-2017, 08:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

How much was the leather if you don't mind me asking. I was quoted a little over 250 to have mine redone and if I can do it myself cheaper, I would love to

Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Pro Wrench

I checked the prices and not too shabby at all. Did you add the foam backing to the new leather or just do the straight perforated leather? Also how big of a pia was it to get it lined up properly and get your leather tight. I saw it came with the threads for attaching but didn't mention a needle. Was that included or do you have any recommendations BC I'm fixing to order that puppy!!!

Old 05-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Jay, I think you can find used steering wheels pretty cheap on eBay. Abran and Paul Grant both also probably have a few. Just an idea.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Mudding

I did nothing after stripping off the old leather. around the "legs" needs to be glued, I used some stuff I got off Amazon made by Aleene's Original called Leather & Suede Glue. The glue goes through the perforations, but this type of glue just rubs off the outside so don't be concerned about that. Redline includes heavy duty string for stitching it, and they include a lot of it, probably to do 1.75 wheels with the stitching pattern I did. The only complaint I had was they included a thick needle for stitching it, and the needle could have been sharper, that would have helped a lot.
Overall the leather from them is a lot softer than the factory leather, it has almost a calfskin type feel to it, I have a great condition OEM one in my rover now and I am even considering taking it out and putting this one in since it feels so much better

Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by emncfi
I did nothing after stripping off the old leather. around the "legs" needs to be glued, I used some stuff I got off Amazon made by Aleene's Original called Leather & Suede Glue. The glue goes through the perforations, but this type of glue just rubs off the outside so don't be concerned about that. Redline includes heavy duty string for stitching it, and they include a lot of it, probably to do 1.75 wheels with the stitching pattern I did. The only complaint I had was they included a thick needle for stitching it, and the needle could have been sharper, that would have helped a lot.
Overall the leather from them is a lot softer than the factory leather, it has almost a calfskin type feel to it, I have a great condition OEM one in my rover now and I am even considering taking it out and putting this one in since it feels so much better
great that's what I needed to know. The pictures u had looked great and factory. Now I know to go ahead and order it. Thanks for the info and great write up

Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Jay, I think you can find used steering wheels pretty cheap on eBay. Abran and Paul Grant both also probably have a few. Just an idea.
yea ive looked around and they are about $70-$100 and I can make mine looks new for $120. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad price for a used one but I would like to redo mine.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Redoing the steering wheel leather is kinda low on the list at the moment, but I'm saving their website! Great info!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel redo option