Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still squeaking (video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Still squeaking (video)

Anyone ever heard this squeaking sound coming from under the hood. It sounds like it's coming from the exhaust manifold but the shop looked at it and said they couldn't find anything. Thought it was the sai intake valve but that also was not the case. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It only squeaks in gear, it'll barely squeak in neutral or park if I press the gas hard and quick. If I hold down the brake and press the gas while in drive it'll squeak then too. I'm stumped.

Last edited by shady milkman; 11-10-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Mudding

And it is a constant sound, I just went on and off the gas a few times in the video so people could hear it.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I couldn't hear it very well, but what I heard sounded like a bearing of some kind. Maybe a pulley bearing or a pulley is not right and wobbling? Hard to hear.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay I discovered the volume button on my phone. That sounds like a pulley and I'm sure because I'm chasing my own pulley squeak right now and it sounds just like it.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Mudding

I would think the same thing but I replaced all the pulleys and belt less than 2k miles ago. When I got under the hood and had someone hold the brake and press the gas, it sounded like it was on the rear of the engine on the passenger side.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by shady milkman
I would think the same thing but I replaced all the pulleys and belt less than 2k miles ago. When I got under the hood and had someone hold the brake and press the gas, it sounded like it was on the rear of the engine on the passenger side.
Hmm. That's a mystery. I had a squeak once and found that an idler pulley was loose. Could one have gotten loose in the swap?

The reason I'm focusing on the front is because I have also heard that sound at the back and if you search the forum you'll find pictures of my cracked flex plate. That's the only thing that makes squeaky noises in the back (actually, in the bell housing and you could hear it from the oil sump area), in my experience. And that's a big deal to replace (pull engine or pull transmission--easier to just pull engine). Of course, if your flex plate cracks and you don't replace it, you get stranded.

When my flex plate was cracked it squeaked a little bit, almost imperceptibly, at idle, but was louder under acceleration.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-10-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Camel Trophy

I should add, if you want to inspect the flex plate you can see a lot of it by removing the oil pan. But mine was mainly cracked around the retaining ring that you can't see unless the engine is out. Mine fell apart in my hands in an almost perfect circle around the retaining ring. It was pretty shocking.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-10-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Found some pictures.

​​​​​​Good flex plate.

Bad flex plate.

​​​​​​Fun times.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Looking back over your description of how and when it occurs, and listening again to the audio (at high volume this time), I have to admit that a flex plate is a possibility based in what I heard from my own. I'm sorry to even plant that idea in your head. I was messing with my rover daily back then so I am not sure how to diagnose whether it is the flex plate other than isolating the location of the squeak. I already had my crane out and was already pissed off so I just pulled the engine to check rather than really figuring out what it was. The picture above reveals what I found.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-10-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Mudding

Damn, that was where I have been leaning, just was hoping that it wouldn't come to that. Guess I'll take it to my transmission guy and see if he can take a look at it. Thanks for all your input Charlie

Quick Reply: Still squeaking (video)