Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
m^2
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I changed wires recently (less that 500 miles). After a bit of thought I agree with you on coils, the wires cross over in back duh! I will probably do them anyway though just to get them done when I have time. When I changed spark plugs recently there was no evidence of a head gasket issues (all spark plugs looked the same after pulled) I will top off coolant, but isn't the whole idea of an overflow/expansion tank to allow air trapped in system to fill the tank, and thus still have the active part of the system full?
I am planning to change transmission fluid in a week or two here so that will be filled back up to spec.

I will try disconnecting O2 sensors and test if I can get time when its not stupid cold out. I know that you aren't supposed to test these with a volt meter, I do have a nice scan tool, which readings should I be looking at on scan tool?

Last edited by m^2; 11-28-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:35 AM
m^2
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a bad sign this morning. The discovery began to overheat on my way to work this morning. I havent had a change to pull off and change o2 sensors, but I did scan them and both of the drivers side o2 sensors were throwing codes and were clearly reading different than the other side. Considering this and the fact that it has been drinking just a bit of coolant I am wondering if its a blown head gasket?

If blown,
what rebuild kit should I buy? And roughly how long did it take you guys to do it?
Thanks

Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I recently did head gaskets on my new truck, along with timing chain, water pump, oil pump, coils, wires, and plugs, inspecting the rod bearings, and making various tweaks to the evap and emissions systems. Working on a few evenings and some weekends it took about two months.
This is the second one I have done; the first time (on my old truck) I used the stretch bolts and on this one I used the ARP studs. I definitely recommend the studs. Much easier to manage and bring to the correct torque. The Victor Reinz kit also seems to be much better quality than whatever cheap one I used the first time.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by m^2
So a bad sign this morning. The discovery began to overheat on my way to work this morning. I havent had a change to pull off and change o2 sensors, but I did scan them and both of the drivers side o2 sensors were throwing codes and were clearly reading different than the other side. Considering this and the fact that it has been drinking just a bit of coolant I am wondering if its a blown head gasket?

If blown,
what rebuild kit should I buy? And roughly how long did it take you guys to do it?
Thanks
Yep, you got a blown hg. Buy the bolts and hg from advance - they will give you a 25% off coupon. I have done half a dozen - now takes me 4 hours to get it apart with power tools, 12 hours going back (I take my time). Studs are good but not worth the money IMHO. I have never had a modern HG blow (ie non-oem).

BTW, currently have a set of used, OEM, non-blown hg we could do some evaluation/reverse engineering/failure analysis on if anyone is interested.