Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator gear question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window regulator gear question

I had my drivers side regulator fail to some degree. When I took it apart and out it looked okay but the gear that runs along the motor run just past the teeth on the motor leaving the motor free to spin but not move the window due no contection between the motor and gear. So I removed the 3 screws and moved the gear to its proper place. It moved smoothly up and down but when it gets to the end of the gear it doesn't stop until it passes the gear and then left unable to move again. I can't see anything that is causing this to run past or that is suppose to stop it before it gets that far. Any ideas, anyone else experience this? Any input greatly appreciated....Thank you

Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Window regulator gear question

Window regulators are semi-common issues with Discos. Ihad my driver and passengerside replaced this year.

You can get replacements at:
http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLis...w%20Regulators

http://www.roverconnection.com/Parts/winreg.htm

MWmG

Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem with my disco. I need to replace both front door requlators. Do you know how to take the door apart to replace the regualtor? Not the panel, the door itself? It looks like it's welded?
I dunno!

TB

Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Not sure on why the regulator is moving past the proper point unless there is a way to adjust position of gear to match position of window ... ie: at what point does gear have to be for window to be fully up, etc.

As far as replacing the regulator, I had no problem getting mine out of the front drivers side door by just removing the bolts from the channel where the glass is, the bolts for the lower channel, and the bolts for the motor. I removed mine while "engineering" a makeshift wheel as the plastic junk one had broken. I used a clipped T-nut, a heavy washer, some nylon spacers,a bolt, al'il locktite and a prayer. Works like a champ!!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

02 Discsd
I have the same problem with my 97 Discovery. I took it in and they charged $5oo for new motor and it still didn't work so I took it back and this time they said the regulator has now gone bad and wanted $300 and said they would not charge for Labor. I took it apart myself and the same issue you describe although on my regulator after the teeth the metal appears rubbed raw and I wonder if there wasn't a mechanical stop there. I put it back together and as long as I don't lower it all the wat I can use it. Do you know if a new regulator is all that is needed or is the stoppping mechanism in the miotor itself. If anybody else knows then please respond. Thanks Tom

Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Mudding

I have a window regulator go out every 3 months. First it was the drivers side which cost 375, then a few weeks back it was the passenger side which cost 580. thankfully i have a warranty