Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Strupid ATF question... Dexron III Vs IV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stupid Strupid ATF question... Dexron III Vs IV?

I'm sure im just being over cautious but....

I went looking for Dexron III (as listed in the RAVE) this weekend to do a fluid change in the tranny and there is none to be had. I assume from reading this http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...dexron-vi.html
that it has been replaced by Dexron IV but wanted to check as all this info relates to GM cars.

Its OK to use Dexron IV in the transmission right?

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dex 5 is a synthetic, yes it will work but a waste of money when mixing it with your old ATF.
All the stores I have been in have Vavoline extended high mileage that I have been using for the last 2 years.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with Valvoline maxlife dexmerc.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Dex 5 is a synthetic, yes it will work but a waste of money when mixing it with your old ATF.
All the stores I have been in have Vavoline extended high mileage that I have been using for the last 2 years.
thats the same as the Valvoline maxlife dexmerc right or do they do just a Dexron one?

Thanks
Dave

Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the bottle if you are in doubt. Valvoline dexmerc is what you want. It is synthetic too.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to Target, get the Castrol ATF, it is Dexron III.
But yes, to answer your question, Dexron IV will be fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
TReK

Dextron IV completely supersedes and is backwards compatible with Dex III. It is a much better ATF. I would not go out of my way to find an obsolete lube but the "dexmerc" ATFs will work and the valvoline is synthetic which is recommended with the cats and exhaust roasting down by the ATF sump.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

When I change tranny fluid in my vehicles, after replacing the fluid, but before starting the vehicle, I add a couple extra quarts of ATF. Then I remove the supply tranny line to the radiator (or cooler). I route a clear hose from that line to a bucket below the radiator. Then I watch the hose and have my wife start the vehicle. ATF that would be pumped from the torque converter back to the tranny comes gushing out the hose. It comes out fast, only takes 15-25 seconds until ya start to see fresh fluid. Then shut the vehicle off and fill to the right level. Sometimes I shut the vehicle off and add a couple more quarts, depending on how much has come out.

This is a way to remove that extra bit of fluid from a tranny ya can't normally get out.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 AM
TReK

We are talking DII's here there is no way of overfilling them that much. Well guess you could use a pump and try but it would be messy.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you not have the other side of where you pull the line to pull in fresh new ATF from a container while the rover thinks it is circulating the old ATF? When you see the new fluid coming out you shut it down and you are not all full of new ATF. Wouldn't that work if you can get the break in the line in the right place and set up the hoses correctly? Maybe a little difficult to break into the line in the right place and have it work, but in theory wouldn't this work?

Quick Reply: Stupid Strupid ATF question... Dexron III Vs IV?