Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Stupid, Stupid, and one more time...Stupid (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/stupid-stupid-one-more-time-stupid-29618/)

humroot 03-11-2010 05:02 PM

Stupid, Stupid, and one more time...Stupid

SO I replaced the radiator last weekend. Not as straight forward as I thought, but not as bad has the head gaskets. So I get everything back together on Saturday. Sunday morning I go to the store and wonder why the tranny is starting to slip. I pull into a parking lot and notice tranny fluid all over the ground in the front. I go into the store and get some rubber gloves and push the transmission coolant line back on where it fell off. I limp the car home and add a few quarts of fluid while making the mess of the century in my garage. Of course I make sure the coolant line is nice and tight. Havent drivien the truck all week and went to take her out today, and lost the tranny again. Tried to make it home and couldnt. Broke down right in the middle of the road. Couple guys helped me push it out of the road and a nice guy with his wife and 4 year-old son stopped, drove me home to get my recovery strap, and towed me home. How freakin' nice is that?? So I have renewed faith in humans...at least some of them.

So now the truck is parked in the street in front of my house, where we are not allowed to park. But at this point, I don't care.

Moral of the story? Don't be stupid.

okdiscoguy 03-11-2010 05:20 PM

agreed. sorry man....

Spike555 03-11-2010 05:58 PM

Always make sure you do the "dummy" check after each job and before you leave any hotel room.
Last person out calls "dummy check", check EVERYTHING, even trans lines.
Sorry to hear about this Hum, its all going to be ok.

okdiscoguy 03-11-2010 06:04 PM

I have always wondered if they hire actual idiots when testing "idiot proof" things. I could use the extra work...

Robwsup 03-11-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy (Post 167054)
I have always wondered if they hire actual idiots when testing "idiot proof" things. I could use the extra work...

....beautiful

starrock 03-11-2010 09:18 PM

i don't get it big dan...so are you saying the tranny is shot because you drove it a few without fluid, or?

NiteTrain 03-11-2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by starrock (Post 167077)
i don't get it big dan...so are you saying the tranny is shot because you drove it a few without fluid, or?

yeah me either..what was leaking the second time? is the tranny toast?

humroot 03-12-2010 07:33 AM

The second time it was leaking from the same place...the transmission cooler connection (it came off). I put it on the same way I did it the first time...

Rovin4life 03-12-2010 06:31 PM

You don't have to pull the lines off the tranny cooler to replace the radiator.

Hell you don't even have to take off the grill if its not an 03-04. You can take out the battery box and the airbox.