Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden die or won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that’s what I got! Cause I read and read and think was you on my other post that said that about the tan, this xyz is new bought from Ebay and tan, I prob just don’t have the best helpers helping me, it’s been 65 here in the south but yet today and 2moro expecting snow so but I’m gonna try and adjust this bolt. Your directions are spot on. Thank you for that so and see what happens and yes the same thing you’re describing is what the deal is with mine. One time I wasn’t even sure it went into Park bc I turned it off so quickly but knew I had saw for a split sec that P was not on the dash. Maybe this explains why putting into N and rolling back some allows it to start bc after doing that deal I put it back into P and start it and being super careful bc I’m already about to have a panic attack sitting alone on the road or w my 6yr old son in car it’s even worse. As for battery~ on my old limp mode post that’s what I did replaced the battery and the connectors honestly I should take a pic and attach so you guys can see how heavy duty these things are bc I wanted it to have a super tight connect bc I just kept thinking battery battery but then after replacing battery and positive battery cable it was okay then started again so that’s how I’ve moved onto to 2 starters~ 1CPS, new tan XYZ Switch, and more to name and MAF & 4 new o2 sensors otw. Also another thing the fuse box~ I compared to ones for sale on eBay and looks like a lot have first big fat black one and last bigger block yellow fuses missing but my 30A is bad and found a 30 where a 40 should be so I need to knock out all this little stuff but have already started researching how I can make device to do a smoke test on my own.

Melissa

btw so is mine a D2? I provided vin# above somewhere in previous msg

Old 03-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Mudding

So this 13mm bolt on mine is rusted and seized on. Ugh so what do I do? If I get this old rusted bolt off can replace w new or do I need to just buy this whole cable? And if so what is it called so I can find one to buy.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Ouch rust sucks

Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Mudding

So am I screwed or can you buy just new bolts or need whole new cable deal?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You could probably grab that little piece from a junk yard, Abran, or Paul Grant might have one as well.

I'd soak the fire out of it with PB Blaster and see if it'll break loose.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Meldav32
So this 13mm bolt on mine is rusted and seized on.
Have you soaked it down with PB Blaster or another penetrate? If badly rusted it may need to sit overnight. You may need to hold the the short linkage with a wrench or adjustable wrench to get good leverage. Unless the nut is rounded it should come loose after a good soak. Good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
xyz-cable.pdf (156.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:43 PM
Mudding

What is PB blaster? And it’s been pouring snow here in TN so I haven’t Been able to do anything since my last reply but I mean I’m gonna have too regardless even if I did buy a whole new cable part that bolt has got to come off right? I just wondered if maybe O’Reilly sold 13mm bolts and yeah junkyard maybe good idea I just know last ones I called said they had no land rovers but I mean I feel like the cable that all connects to my new tan XYZ Switch is crappy and rusted looking so mayb I just need a new one period: what is that part called? Is there a name or just google xyz cable

Melissa

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM
Mudding

Never mind on name. Sorry didn’t see your attachment. Thank you for that!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Meldav32
What is PB blaster?
This:
Amazon Amazon

Breaks loose rusted fasteners

Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 PM
Mudding

Thank you! Maybe I can find it here tomorrow at auto parts store if not I’ll order it. I just want to get this done as fast as I can. Code reader and o2 sensors came in today now just waiting for MAF and will do that w the bolt and also will clean the other part someone told me too up there somewhere. Then as long as my simple mind can figure out this smoke test want to do that this wkend. I know my luck and I’m just about betting I’m gonna have this leaking o ring injector deal lol.

Quick Reply: Sudden die or won’t start