Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping a 2000 dII T-case into a 2003 - questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swapping a 2000 dII T-case into a 2003 - questions.

Hey!

I have an 03 d2 without the locking Tcase or the nipple to engage it for that matter. I came across a listing to buy a 2000 D2. It has lower miles than mine and a few accessories I'd like. I was thinking of buying it and swapping the Tcases so I can lock my 03's CDL.

Am I correct in assuming I can simply swap them and install a linkage to actuate it without any additional issues I may not be aware of?

It's also important that the 2000 d2 can run well with the Tcase from my 03 installed as I plan to either sell it in the future or give it to my wife...

As always, thanks for the help y'all!

Old 06-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by caroba
Hey!

I have an 03 d2 without the locking Tcase or the nipple to engage it for that matter. I came across a listing to buy a 2000 D2. It has lower miles than mine and a few accessories I'd like. I was thinking of buying it and swapping the Tcases so I can lock my 03's CDL.

Am I correct in assuming I can simply swap them and install a linkage to actuate it without any additional issues I may not be aware of?

It's also important that the 2000 d2 can run well with the Tcase from my 03 installed as I plan to either sell it in the future or give it to my wife...

As always, thanks for the help y'all!
When doing the swap, also switch out the SLABS Unit if both D2's are equipped with coils. 03-04 SLABS are CDL ready.

The following users liked this post:
caroba (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
When doing the swap, also switch out the SLABS Unit if both D2's are equipped with coils. 03-04 SLABS are CDL ready.
03 is Coil sprung, also just installed the TF 2" lift. Not sure on the 2000 yet...

I'm still learning a bit here, so just to clarify -- The SLABS unit is the ECU for the ABS system, correct? If my 03's SLABS unit is CDL ready (which I assume means TC will still work when the CDL is engaged), why do I need to swap it out?

Or is the issue that the 2000 D2 needs my 03 SLABS to operate with the 03 Tcase?

Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by caroba
03 is Coil sprung, also just installed the TF 2" lift. Not sure on the 2000 yet...

I'm still learning a bit here, so just to clarify -- The SLABS unit is the ECU for the ABS system, correct? If my 03's SLABS unit is CDL ready (which I assume means TC will still work when the CDL is engaged), why do I need to swap it out?

Or is the issue that the 2000 D2 needs my 03 SLABS to operate with the 03 Tcase?

Thanks again!
Yeah brain fart on my part. What I meant to say was you are good to go in the 03 since it's SLABS is CDL ready.

caroba (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Drifting

BIG UPDATE!

After talking to this guy, he admitted that his factory driveshaft failed. He did not mention this in the ad... I mainly wanted to buy this car for the locking Tcase and the roof rack it comes with..

I will go inspect the car to see what sort of damage it caused when it failed. I'm just worried that the Tcase got ruined when it snapped. Of course I'll do a visual inspection of the transmission and Tcase to see the extent of the damage... throwing in a new driveshaft isn't a big deal if that's the only damage. But he did mention something was leaking afterwards -- perhaps a trans cooler line..

For those of you more experienced, how would you feel buying one of these that had the driveshaft blow on them? And how can I be sure the Tcase is in good shape internally after this happened? I was thinking dropping a magnet into the fill plug to see if the gears are shredding but that's all I can think of... Without that driveshaft the car can't drive so testing it out would be impossible..

Perhaps if I manually lock the nipple on his CDL so that the car can deliver torque to the rear wheels I could limp it home? Will that damage the Tcase (since torque will still be applied to the output flange that would connect to the front driveshaft otherwise? I also have the option of towing it home..

Old 06-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you can lock the CDL and drive it with the front drive shaft removed, but it depends if the transmission isn't busted wide open from the drive shaft going BOOM.

caroba (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Drifting

^^^ Best4x4, your rig is sweet, and you have really hooked me up today. I'm super appreciative of your help.

I love this community because it's turning someone like me who couldn't do an oil change 3 months ago into someone who's starting to feel pretty darn mechanically competent.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Probably not the cooler lines, they are on the opposite side of the transmission. Most likely blew a hole in the transmission case, along where pan bolts on, passenger side. Might need a y-pipe, too...it usually get mashed to smithereens.

Bought my 01 with all of these conditions, for 5 bills. Threw a transmission (3 more bills), y-pipe (2 more bills) and new shafts (2 more bills) in it and have put about 8K on it before parking it for the summer. Have had no issues with the transfer case.

Brian.

caroba (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:13 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I parted an '02 last month that had the front driveshaft explode. Not only did it take out the transmission but it also cracked the front output assembly on the transfer case as well. I had never seen that level of damage in the several hundred Rovers I've parted. It was insane. I didn't take pictures of the damage to the front output assembly but I've included one of the driveshaft and transmission. But, the damage to the front output assembly amounted to large cracks in the housing itself almost all the way around! Again, I've never seen anything like it.

Attached Thumbnails Swapping a 2000 dII T-case into a 2003 - questions.-img_7516.jpg  
caroba (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

No problem at all. Most of the D2's that looked like they drove into the pick n pull are 100% perfect, crawl under it & yep transmission is cracked to pieces. Sad that most people forget to inspect their front drive shafts vs totalling out an otherwise good D2.

Quick Reply: Swapping a 2000 dII T-case into a 2003 - questions.