Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC with diffs locked

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default TC with diffs locked

When you are wheeling with diffs locked, using traction control can it work with front and rear diffs at the same time or does it do either or, depending on what is slipping?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Uh. The traction control will try to keep all the wheels spinning around the same speed. Your lockers will do that mechanically. I think if the TC is still coming on your lockers aren't doing there job.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

What kind of lockers are you using? TC is useless if you're running something like an air locker or electronic locker. If you're running trutracs the TC can assist the limited slip "locker". TC can go side to side, front to rear, all at the same time.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

And if you have added CDL to your 99 thu 01, you can turn off the TC ny leaving the CDL on, turn off the engine and then restart the engine, now you have shut off the TC, ABS and Hill Decent.
Any time you can run with out TC, you are saving your brake pads fron a lot of wear and heat.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
And if you have added CDL to your 99 thu 01, you can turn off the TC ny leaving the CDL on, turn off the engine and then restart the engine, now you have shut off the TC, ABS and Hill Decent.
Any time you can run with out TC, you are saving your brake pads fron a lot of wear and heat.
Just a word on this, regarding the disabling of ABS.

I just recently found out that the DII also has an electronic brake distribution system that adjusts brake bias by way of the ABS system. With the ABS disabled, this feature is inop and the rear brakes receive full pressure which can result in premature lockup of the rear wheels and loss of control if you're not expecting it.

Just something to know if you're going to be driving around without functioning ABS.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Where did you find this information? I believe you sre incorrect so if you could post that with it's location.
The reason I question this, I normally always run with my ABS off, and I know for a fact I have front and rear brakes.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Isn't it common practice to not mash on the brake pedal if ABS isn't on? For me you lightly pump to achieve stopping power.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Where did you find this information? I believe you sre incorrect so if you could post that with it's location.
The reason I question this, I normally always run with my ABS off, and I know for a fact I have front and rear brakes.
I didn't say you didn't have brakes at either axle. I said that with the ABS disabled the bias proportioning is maladjusted and could cause loss of control.

Bias proportioning was formerly handled by a mechanical proportioning valve that fed the rear brakes on the RRC's and the DI, it was replaced with the EBD function of the ABS with the introduction of the DII. If you allow the same pressure to the rear wheels that you do to the front wheels, you run the risk of the rears locking up before the fronts under some conditions. If you're not expecting it, you're going to have a bad time.

On where it's discussed:

Page 70-20 of the RAVE Manual
EBD
The EBD function optimises the distribution of hydraulic pressure between the front and rear axles, under all vehicle
load configurations and road conditions, to maintain vehicle stability during braking. EBD operates in forward and
reverse and is automatically enabled whenever the ABS modulator is in the normal braking mode at vehicle
deceleration rates of 0.3 g and above (i.e. medium to high brake pedal loads). EBD operation is similar to that of ABS,
but is calibrated to intervene at lower wheel slip limits and operates the brakes in axle pairs instead of individually.

During braking, if the SLABS ECU detects the wheels of one axle going slower than those of the other axle, i.e. a
potential wheel slip situation, it signals the ABS modulator to close the inlet solenoid valve for the brakes of the slower
wheels. This prevents any further increase in hydraulic pressure to those brakes, while allowing the hydraulic pressure
to the brakes on the other axle to increase and so maximise the overall braking effort. If the wheel speeds of the axle
being subjected to EBD control return within the calibrated wheel slip limits, the SLABS ECU signals a stepped
opening of the inlet solenoid valves, which allows a progressive increase of hydraulic pressure to the related brakes.

Operation of EBD is detectable from a stiffening of brake pedal movement as the inlet solenoid valves close and a
slight pulsing of the brake pedal as the inlet solenoid valves open. EBD operation ceases immediately the brake pedal
is released.

The wheel slip limit for EBD operation varies with vehicle speed. During normal operation, the inlet solenoid valves
always operate in axle pairs, with only one axle pair closed at any one time. Since the most lightly loaded wheel during
a braking manoeuvre will usually be the first to reach the slip limit, under most vehicle load configurations and road
conditions EBD control occurs on the trailing axle. However, EBD control can occur on the leading axle or switch
between axles during the braking manoeuvre.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

11 years of wheeling with the ABS has never cause a problem and I have always had front an rear brakes. I based my original concern based on your statement," this feature is inop and the rear brakes receive full pressure which can result in premature lockup of the rear wheels and loss of control if you're not expecting it."
Even on snow, mud or sand, never had any issues.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

OK...let me re fraise that question:

When the centre-diff-lock (CDL) is engaged using traction control can it work with front and rear diffs at the same time or does it do either or, depending on what is slipping?

Quick Reply: TC with diffs locked