Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you Uncle Sam

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you Uncle Sam

So it is that time when i am receiving a nice chuck of change from The Man
so i am looking at a few things.

1. Roof Racks..that will allow for the use of at least the front sunroof
2. lift kit and everything extra that i will need to purchase(or maybe there is a kit out there that has everything)
3. tires. im pretty sure i have decided on 275/65/18 but i am curious as to which tire to give me the most height, and functionality. also with the lift will have have to do any cutting?

any advice would be nice. i am very new to the disco world.

also wondering if i have dodged the oil pump prob. i am at about 100k miles
and it also seems like i dodged the 3 amigos as well. they started once i bought the girl 3 months ago but after keeping her clean of brake dust, i haven't had the problems

thanks everyone

Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put your truck info in your signature. You don't dodge the oil pump problem, you either have it or don't.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling

It is nice to be a Rover Stimulus package recipient, but remember...it was probably your money to begin with Sounds like you are planning to spend it wisely though!

There are LOADS of posts that ask the very same questions you are here, but I will do my best to supply a spotty reply while I am munching on my sandwich.

With your mention of dodging the oil bullet, I will work off the assumption you have a D2, Vintage 2003...

1. Roof racks. Loads of options. You can go with a half rack like that offered by ARB, or a full rack similar to the older Safety Devices rack (used if you can find it) or a Rover Rack (which is what I have...no complaints so far). There are other options that follow the roof line like Baja Rack (columbiarovers.com...I think), or flat-style like Hannibal and other more generic "safari" style racks. My Rover Rack is an older one, but it accommodates the use of both front and rear sunroof.

2. Many folks swear by Old Man Emu suspension products. You can go with a standard 2" lift, or achieve up to 3" with stiffer springs, etc. Search up on that, but lucky8llc.com is a good place to purchase from. expeditionexchange.com has great info on the various springs, etc. Others also swear by Rovertym springs. Personally, I just ordered a 3" OME "kit" from Lucky8.

3. I don't have much to add on the tire subject, but most seem to recommend a 265/75 16 with a 2-3" lift. You can probably squeeze in more, but I like the look and functionality achieved with that size. Not to mention you can just invert the stock tire carrier and achieve the clearance necessary to tote around a larger spare. There are threads on how to do this, or just PM me.

I am sure I have left about 60% of additional valuable information out, but it sounds like you are just starting the process and I am not very far ahead of you, so that is a 3-minute brain dump. PM if you want more, or just ask a more specific question here.

Adam

Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dnorrell
but remember...it was probably your money to begin with
X2, you don't thank your bank when the ATM gives you your money do you? And they pay you interest & make it convenient to get at your money 24/7!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO, guys, you have it all wrong....he must have got some of that Obama-money! Haven't you heard????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19v5Kjmc8FI

Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
NO, guys, you have it all wrong....he must have got some of that Obama-money! Haven't you heard????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19v5Kjmc8FI
If its on the web it must be true right?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Drifting

When I get my Uncle Sam money I am pouring it into my upside down loan on the 04 rover and selling it.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Drifting

So my Disco is a 2003 with 97k on her. I have the 18" Hurricanes and i plan on keeping them.
vin # is SALTY16493A804522

I live in florida so i deal with a lot of lose sand. Also i frequent the Pisgah National Forest for some trails. Would the General Grabber A/ts be fine?

Also with a full length rack, how bad is the driving noise?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

The noise was a concern for me, but I like to think of it as enriching the Rover song. Bottom line: you get some humming at highway speeds, but you will soon filter it out.

Edit: One more thing to think about if you haven't - front drive shaft. Your money should probably go to rebuilding/replacing that first as it has the best potential return on investment (read: saving you tons when the original one decides to give and takes a few things with it).

Last edited by dnorrell; 03-25-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck with your D2 project, I can't wait to see which way you go.

Get a Tom Woods: double cardon front drive shaft, first things first. You are on borrowed time.

Then get some Magnacor 8mm wires and Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

Then find the 60k service and do EVERYTHING ON IT...

Once you have completed this + a few other things you will find your truck needs along the way (each D2 will has its own issues and will require some extra love in various areas) then I would start thinking about larger tires, roof racks, lifting, ETC.

I am not trying to burst your bubble I just don't want to have to say I told you so in a few months when your front drive shaft goes and takes your tranny with it. And you are asking how hard it is to replace yourself because you spent all your "Obama Money" on a lift/tires/rack/Etc.

LOL _ I am just bustin your ***** - and I am jealous because I am not getting any of that "Obama Money" instead I am cutting a check to the IRS for big $$$ this year.

Quick Reply: Thank you Uncle Sam