Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a Disco II Have ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
No Doubt why do you have a Jeep badge as a Avatar?

My guess........because JEEPS are AWESOME!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
No Doubt why do you have a Jeep badge as a Avatar?
I charge the Jeep boys 1 badge each time I have to tow them out of the mud...then put 'em on my Disco like the old fighter pilots would do kills!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well....... We drove 8 hours yesterday round trip to pick up a 2004 with 111,000 miles. It was $1,000 less than the dealer was asking for the one they sold that I was supposed to buy. I love how peppy it is! It's just fun to drive, though I wish the steering wheel would tilt up a couple inches higher.

I'm currently adding up the cost of repairs to get it how I want it.

So far both passenger door actuators need to be replaced or repaired and I'm thinking the others sound a bit rough, they are very loud when you lock/unlock them.

Need to figure out why the driver's side seat belt height adjuster won't adjust the height.

Going to replace the drive shaft as it's original, though it's not showing any signs of going out.

Possibly do the head gaskets though the engine didn't get above 180 the whole trip.

Diagnose why the check engine light came on after we stopped for gas with the error codes P0134 & P0171. The OMBii reader was picking up 02 readings so I'm not sure what would cause the code. We were about an hour from home at that point and it hasn't come back on yet after I reset it.

Oh, and we are going to change the fluids just to be safe. Belt looks good like it's been replaced recently.

We already had to replace the rear lightbulb before we left town... I had to add windshield fluid, and am on my way to the store to get a fuse to figure out why the front windshield washers won't work. Hoping it's just the fuse!

Also, planning to get a luggage rack, spare tire cover, and possibly new tires even though these are new.. they look like old lady tires!!! Guess I'm officially in the club

And because this post is useless without here she is.

Last edited by prnzez2; 09-13-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by prnzez2
Thanks for the replies! I guess I should have specified that my oldest would drive himself if he goes, lol, he's 18. So we are looking at 7 seaters.

My husband used to work on fighter jets in the military so I think he would be just fine doing repairs himself or have his friend who is a car mechanic help. I have been pricing parts online for some of the common problems and the parts themselves don't scare me. It's how people seem to say they are so unreliable.

Our Excursion has over 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong. We bought it with 175,000 miles so we are used to high mileage maintenance. We plan on still keeping that one, we actually just sold our second excursion a couple months ago so the disco would be a replacement second vehicle. I want something smaller because I feel like I'm driving a boat anywhere I go. Tiny parking lots are awful. I usually find the furthest spot and just walk, but I still want to be able to drive to our property, we actually couldn't get up the hill 2 years ago when it was raining in the excursion even with the 4 wheel drive activated so 4 wheel drive is a must.
With six pregnancies and a husband in the military, I'm pretty sure there's nothing a Disco (or anything for that matter) can throw at you that you can't handle.

Strongest and toughest woman I've ever known had five kids and a career AF officer husband, and you've got six!

The following users liked this post:
prnzez2 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Drifting

I posted a reply on here, but I guess since I added a photo it needed to be approved! So the update is that I got a 2004 discovery and I'm making my list of repairs... I'm sure my post will show up soon, lol. Researching door actuators, and a key that's hard to get in and out of the ignition right now if anyone has tips?

Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Congrats, on the new acquistion. A little lube would probably help the ignition switch, they are known to be problematic.

Brian.

prnzez2 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Congrats, on the new acquistion. A little lube would probably help the ignition switch, they are known to be problematic.

Brian.
How do you lube it?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Get a WD40 Contact cleaner. Spray without holding back until it drips. Let it dry. Then, spray regular WD40. Works on mine really well. BTW, you have to insert straw inside the cylinder.

prnzez2 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Drifting

Yay, my post finally posted it's a few posts back if anyone was curious, lol.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by prnzez2

Need to figure out why the driver's side seat belt height adjuster won't adjust the height.

Going to replace the drive shaft as it's original, though it's not showing any signs of going out.

Possibly do the head gaskets though the engine didn't get above 180 the whole trip.

Diagnose why the check engine light came on after we stopped for gas with the error codes P0134 & P0171. The OMBii reader was picking up 02 readings so I'm not sure what would cause the code. We were about an hour from home at that point and it hasn't come back on yet after I reset it.

Oh, and we are going to change the fluids just to be safe. Belt looks good like it's been replaced recently.
Seat belt height adjuster is just the molded plastic to plastic rail inside. Remove rubber door weather seal on both doors to get to the clips that secures the trim on the pillar.

Just got front drive shaft from Lucky8 for $208.00 have not received it yet.

For the mean time, just clean MAF really good with CRC MAF cleaner. Saturate the sensor then let it dry completely. If code returns, then we'll see.

Fluids? Order all the filters and gaskets needed for your project.

prnzez2 (09-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Disco II Have ??