Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Three Breather Tubing" Seasoned Knowledge Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Three Breather Tubing" Seasoned Knowledge Appreciated

Howdy All !
Twins Disco is a 2002 Discovery with 160,000 Miles
I’m on the final tuning, it has only taking me close to three years ;>) !?
For those who know my story_ I started driving the truck two weeks ago ;>)). It sounds phenomenal to me, and everybody that hears it Purr! I have been getting rid of OBD Error Codes. Soon I’ll be writing about my success. Some on the forums believed it was a lost cause.
After a week of research Codes 1171_ which is a small vacuum leak; follow with codes P0135 and P0155. I found the three hard breather plastic-tubing on the right-passenger side engine firewall. The gear box tube and the transfer case tube I found correctly connected, but a third tube is completely loose not connected and lost its places on the tube loom-separator. I can’t find where it goes. I Looked on the carbon canister, but all the corresponding hoses are there. No luck. I looked in Rave and on the internet, but with no success, I couldn’t find any information on the third tube-plastic hose at all.
Hoping to hear from someone that knows where it goes.
I’m Staying humble, hopeful and very thankful.
Thank you for your time and help in advance.
They are the vent plastic hoses that go into the Gear Box, Transfer Case and The Front and Rear Axles. They look like this new...for those that are taken notes

The three vent tubes were here on the right bank firewall and look like this. They can and will get burn with the heat of the engine. Two of the hoses were melted-burned from the heat.

Here you can see that they are three and two are clearly connected.

But where does the middle hose goes into. I found the gear case and transfer box with no problem

Front and Rear Axles vent hoses location.

Last edited by Twins Disco; 09-04-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
The following users liked this post:
OverRover (02-24-2017)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Mystery solved

Finally, my mystery is solved !
I found a picture from before, the vent hose for the transfer case loops back down. There are only two vent hoses not three.
Look for the arrow on the picture.

Attached Thumbnails "Three Breather Tubing"  Seasoned Knowledge Appreciated-dsc01792.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so what were the causes and fixes for the codes p1035 and p1055

roger

Old 02-24-2017, 03:10 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Twins Disco

Howdy All !
For those who know my story_ I started driving the truck two weeks ago ;>)). It sounds phenomenal to me, and everybody that hears it Purr! I have been getting rid of OBD Error Codes. Soon I’ll be writing about my success. Some on the forums believed it was a lost cause.
After a week of research Codes 1171_ which is a small vacuum leak; follow with codes P0135 and P0155. I found the three hard breather plastic-tubing on the right-passenger side engine firewall. The gear box tube and the transfer case tube I found correctly connected, but a third tube is completely loose not connected and lost its places on the tube loom-separator. I can’t find where it goes. I Looked on the carbon canister, but all the corresponding hoses are there. No luck. I looked in Rave and on the internet, but with no success, I couldn’t find any information on the third tube-plastic hose at all.
They are the vent plastic hoses that go into the Gear Box, Transfer Case and The Front and Rear Axles. They look like this new...for those that are taken notes

The three vent tubes were here on the right bank firewall and look like this. They can and will get burn with the heat of the engine. Two of the hoses were melted-burned from the heat.

But where does the middle hose goes into. I found the gear case and transfer box with no problem

If this is your rebuild, congratulations, looks excellent.

I did a total nut and bolt rebuild on an old Series 2A about 40 years ago so know how painstaking and painful it can be.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Twins Disco

Howdy All !

WOW Bro! I tought I could help you but I have never seen my truck from that angle without the body. Good you found it!

Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by xisled
so what were the causes and fixes for the codes p1035 and p1055

roger
Roger
Feb 24th 2017 The codes came back today_ they come and go, I just get rid of them when they come. I get codes for the front and the rear sensors. Both banks were changed twice. Beside that I have used Liqui Moly Fuel System cleaner, Mistery Marvel Oil, Sea Foam, Sta-Bil, BG 109 and Cataclean nothing has help. I think my Cats are useless. No smoke or odor ;>(. My next project is to change them or rid of them. I'll update if the codes go away when I do that.
Good luck on your end !

Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The vent lines are for the transfer case & transmission. One of them actually makes a loop back so if at the front it was to melt it would appear as if you had 3 vent lines, but in reality you only have two.

The following users liked this post:
Twins Disco (02-25-2017)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

All my TC and transmission breather tubing melted, they got completely closed. When I cut the TC line, it made a long "pfft" sound, so a clear sign it was under pressure. Not good for the seals and people should check that first in case their transfer case leaks. Here is my fix: I got 4 feet of 1/4" fuel hose and two hose clamps from my local hardware store. The transmission return tube was pulled out, since it is not needed anymore. The two breathing tubes were cut off above the transmission, the ends were pushed into the fuel hoses and secured with clamps. The other ends of the hoses were connected with cable ties to the firewall at the inertia shut off switch. I saved the round parts of the tubing in order to use them as end pieces. Pls see the pictures. This solution is much better than the lose plastic tubes hanging around and potentially banging against the hot exhaust manifold.

Melted breather tubing from the engine compartment:

Connected to fuel hoses above the transmission:

From the transmission tunnel to the fire wall:

Connected to the firewall with end pieces:

Last edited by Discorama; 05-04-2019 at 12:38 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Discorama:
cvhyatt (05-04-2019), jastutte (05-04-2019), JUKE179r (08-08-2019), Motorhead1 (05-06-2019), Sixpack577 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
All my TC and transmission breather tubing melted, they got completely closed. When I cut the TC line, it made a long "pfft" sound, so a clear sign it was under pressure. Not good for the seals and people should check that first in case their transfer case leaks. Here is my fix: I got 4 feet of 1/4" fuel hose and two hose clamps from my local hardware store. The transmission return tube was pulled out, since it is not needed anymore. The two breathing tubes were cut off above the transmission, the ends were pushed into the fuel hoses and secured with clamps. The other ends of the hoses were connected with cable ties to the firewall at the inertia shut off switch. I saved the round parts of the tubing in order to use them as end pieces. Pls see the pictures. This solution is much better than the lose plastic tubes hanging around and potentially banging against the hot exhaust manifold.

Melted breather tubing from the engine compartment:

Connected to fuel hoses above the transmission:

From the transmission tunnel to the fire wall:

Connected to the firewall with end pieces:
When you say “The transmission return tube was pulled out, since it is not needed anymore.” why do you say that? The reason I ask is I’m about to do your fix for my breather lines. I have one line that is completely melted and the transfer case breather looks like it broke and somebody put a 3” piece of fuel line on the breather fitting on the top f the transfer case. I see lines on top, is it true one just loops around so there is truly only 2 breather tubes?

Old 04-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry for late reply. Right, there are 2 breather tubes only. The tube from the transmission loops back into the tunnel and has an open end, as can be seen on that picture -> https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...b03bcaf172.jpg (from the OP). To have the open end in a higher position is even an improvement and has no negative impact on functionality, since it is just a vent for the transmission.

Quick Reply: "Three Breather Tubing" Seasoned Knowledge Appreciated