Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body heater plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body heater plate questions

Name:  a89abb26.jpg
Views: 5466
Size:  101.7 KBhttps://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/throttle-body-heater-plate-questions-52215/
Name:  5f5dac0f.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  84.6 KB
Name:  ca4c64ea.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  64.1 KB
Name:  12d7667f.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  110.9 KB

Gentleman,

I have a 2000 DiscoII, I have replaced water pump, thermal state, radiator, front crank shaft seal, power steering pump and transmission filter, etc.

Just recently engine very hard to start check engine light error code shows engine misfire so I replaced all spark plugs and notice #8 cylinder spark plug contains a lot of oil.

And, coolant level drops, too.

Last night engine overheat light was on, I turn off engine immediately and I found coolant expansion tank was empty, I let it cool down for couple minutes and opened coolant expansion tank cap, coolant returned to the tank to about half tank.

I found coolant leaking out from throttle body heater plate hoses so I removed one of the hose from the throttle body plate and coolant return to the tank again.

Attached please see my pictures, you can see a lot of oil inside throttle especially in the valve cover breather hose.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you so very much!

Sincerely,

Paul

Last edited by 928paul; 08-26-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your oil separator may be plugged.
As for being low on coolant, you need to get in the habit of opening the hood a couple times a month and checking fluids, remember it is a rover.
As for right know, chance are you will find yourself with a blown head gasket.
I would have a coolant pressure test performed and if needed, a chemical block test.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Your oil separator may be plugged.
As for being low on coolant, you need to get in the habit of opening the hood a couple times a month and checking fluids, remember it is a rover.
As for right know, chance are you will find yourself with a blown head gasket.
I would have a coolant pressure test performed and if needed, a chemical block test.
I did a pressure test couple weeks ago when I replaced spark plugs, head gasket seems ok.

Where is oil separator? can you please show me some photos?

Many thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------
OK I found pictures of oil separator. Valve cover gaskets (both sides) leak out oils, I'll change valve cover gaskets and oil separator and throttle body heater plate at once.

Can I bypass throttle body heater for now? Connect 2 throttle body heater plate coolant hoses together? I need to drive about 15 miles.

Thanks.

Last edited by 928paul; 08-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Yup, just did this job today. I would suggest replacing the stock hose clamps with worm drive clamps to make it easier. Also used some RTV gasket sealer to make a stronger seal.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 928paul
I did a pressure test couple weeks ago when I replaced spark plugs, head gasket seems ok.

Where is oil separator? can you please show me some photos?

Many thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------
OK I found pictures of oil separator. Valve cover gaskets (both sides) leak out oils, I'll change valve cover gaskets and oil separator and throttle body heater plate at once.

Can I bypass throttle body heater for now? Connect 2 throttle body heater plate coolant hoses together? I need to drive about 15 miles.

Thanks.
I'll try bypass throttle body heater so coolant can flow freely. Did anyone try this? Any advises will be very much appreciated thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you can by-pass the t-body heater for now.
Buy a can of carb cleaner and clean the t-body.
On the passenger side of the engine is a hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake, remove it from the valve cover.
Inside is a little plastic piece, pull it out, clean it with the carb cleaner, put it back.
Also see the hose in your pic that goes to the t-body? The one that is full of oil?
Remove it, clean it out.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes you can by-pass the t-body heater for now.
Buy a can of carb cleaner and clean the t-body.
On the passenger side of the engine is a hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake, remove it from the valve cover.
Inside is a little plastic piece, pull it out, clean it with the carb cleaner, put it back.
Also see the hose in your pic that goes to the t-body? The one that is full of oil?
Remove it, clean it out.
is that little plastic piece the Oil Separator? Thanks!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Is your oil milky? Have you seen coolant leaking on the floor? Does the engine overheat when accelerating? Really sounds like you might have a blown head gasket. The throttle body can leak too but I feel you would have noticed it leaking, maybe valley pan as well. Don't ever let the engine overheat into the red light indication, much less overheat at all. Do whatever you can to pull over and shut it off. I've had to shut off on the highway before and coast to a stop because I saw the temp gauge creep up.

Throttle body bypass is pretty simple. In fact mine is still bypassed. I've been meaning to set it up again but it's kind of nice to know that it won't leak.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 08-26-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Is your oil milky? Have you seen coolant leaking on the floor? Does the engine overheat when accelerating? Really sounds like you might have a blown head gasket. The throttle body can leak too but I feel you would have noticed it leaking, maybe valley pan as well. Don't ever let the engine overheat into the red light indication, much less overheat at all. Do whatever you can to pull over and shut it off. I've had to shut off on the highway before and coast to a stop because I saw the temp gauge creep up.

Throttle body bypass is pretty simple. In fact mine is still bypassed. I've been meaning to set it up again but it's kind of nice to know that it won't leak.
head gasket is still good but I think oil separator is clogged that is why driver side valve cover breather hose goes into throttle body is clogged with exceeding oil. but I'll do a pressure test again thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: throttle body heater plate questions