Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Tick, tick, tick - fixed. Thanks Spike! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/tick-tick-tick-fixed-thanks-spike-26503/)

cranky 11-08-2009 04:57 AM

Tick, tick, tick - fixed. Thanks Spike!

I've had this ticking coming from my engine for a while now.
My EX mechanic always said it was a blocked lifter and not to worry about it! Well since I've decided to do my own work it's been bugging me. I put an additive in the oil but being impatient I wanted to fix it now!

I was about to take the rocker cover off but Spike advised against it citing a few other things it could be - manifold gasket being one.

So I start looking & feeling about the manifold bolts - I find the last one near the firewall loose! I unscrewed it with my fingers.:eek:
Turns out the tab was bent up which stops the bolt being able to be tightened.
I bent the tab down and tightened it up, I also re tightened the the bolt on the other side of the port

Fired her up and BINGO - no more tick.:D So thanks Spike you were able to trouble shoot this problem for me and save me a lot of time and effort. The old beast sounds great now!

It doesn't seem to be leaking now but I might pencil in a gasket replacement soon.

With those tabs what is the best way to bend them over to the bolt head. The top ones are okay but the lower bolts - especially the back one - that you can't see or get any leverage are impossible.
________
Web Shows

Spike555 11-08-2009 08:23 AM

Your welcome.
We always check the simple/free stuff first.
These engines are pretty bullet proof, not much goes bad on the inside as long as you change the oil once and awhile and use the proper grade of gasoline. (petrol)

Remember to...

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

Glad your truck is running nice and smooth Cranky.
Always glad to help.

glenfoxman 11-08-2009 10:44 AM

Tick tick tick fixed Thanks Spike

Hey Dorian, nice drawings, i hope to be able do studys liek this soon, they seem to pay of big time.

Take care, and show us more, and by the way, thanks for the above information.

Hugs

cranky 11-08-2009 05:28 PM

I never would have thought that sopund would come from the manifold!

Hey what is the bnest way to bend those tabs back in place?

With those tabs what is the best way to bend them over to the bolt head. The top ones are okay but the lower bolts - especially the back one - that you can't see or get any leverage are impossible.
________
How to roll a blunt

sloppyjoe 11-08-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 147647)
Your welcome.
We always check the simple/free stuff first.
These engines are pretty bullet proof, not much goes bad on the inside as long as you change the oil once and awhile and use the proper grade of gasoline. (petrol)

Remember to...

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

Glad your truck is running nice and smooth Cranky.
Always glad to help.

how my dad taught me to work on trucks,,,

Spike555 11-08-2009 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by cranky (Post 147831)
I never would have thought that sopund would come from the manifold!

Hey what is the bnest way to bend those tabs back in place?

I dont really know, maybe with a flat head screw driver and a small hammer.