Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Rebuild Bottom End

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
How good is the Crower 53229 camshaft?
Is there a noticeable, useable power gain?
Any improvement in mileage?
I have done alot of searching and reading, but can't find a definate answer.
I'm about to do a rebuild on an 04, 4.6
I can get a new Lucky8 cam (which I'm fine with) for around $80.
Or, spend over 3 times as much for the Crower.
I'm on a tight budget, and have a good engine.
I don't want to spend another $200 that I can use elsewhere.
Some engines respond great to a mild cam.
Others, a cam does nothing without other parts, exhaust, FI tune, ect.
So I am unsure if the cam is worth it.
I also don't want to regret not doing it.
Can anyone that has used this cam definately say it's worth it? Without just assuming it's better because it has a different duration?
Thank you for any advice.
I put the Crower cam in a 4.6 D2 that I bought to part out (to myself... not for money). I wish I'd left the damned engine alone. In any case, there was a very noticeable power boost (seat of the pants) pre and post cam, but I also replaced the rings and just about everything else. My original engine (which is now back in the truck) is amazingly WEAK compared to the 4.6 with the Crower cam, both pushing heavy 33 inch tires. On a normal 54 mile round trip that I make, I know exactly where the 4.0 downshifts to maintain 75. Eight times per trip. The 4.6 with the Crower cam did not downshift once on the same trip. With the upgraded 4.6 I didn't have to do advanced physics calculations regarding mass and inertia to merge.

I got terrible gas mileage with the 4.6 because I was always zipping around corners and gunning it. The old D2 seemed like a different vehicle with that engine, which is why I covet the Chevy conversion.

It is definitely worth it if you have the engine out anyway because there aren't many other engine-internal upgrades you can make... the rover engine is just that good .

Last edited by Charlie_V; 01-02-2018 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Thank you sir, that's great to hear.
Especially since I went ahead and bought a Crower cam!
I am doing a full engine rebuild too.
Parts should be arriving any day now.
But, I'm in no hurry. I've had my share of working in the cold. My D2 is outside, and I have to finish pulling the engine. I'll rebuild it in the garage.
Thanks again for your input, it's what I was hoping to hear.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:44 AM
TReK

I did find a roller cam and lifters too.
It was a deal at only $1400!
lol, no thanks.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
4 days.

4 days to pull the motor. OMG some of those bolts that mate the engine to the transmission were Grinches.

Now, some of you pro mechanics probably have air tools and all of the bends/joints and can pull these Rover motors in a few hours.

I can see that.

...but I'm an amatuer and it took me 4 days. Plus, my overhead light went out in my hangar so the actual Lift and move of the cherry picker was by car headlights.

Oy vey.

Anyway...now that I've done it I could probably pull it out again in 2 days using only hand tools again. There is a learning curve. Ouch.

Next month I'll start the teardown and begin ordering parts as I get the motor apart and discover all of its problems.

Wow!

I'm seriously regretting *NOT* leaving the motor in the Disco and just dropping the oil pan and front cover to replace bearings and oil pump.

Maybe... maybe I'll find something in the teardown that justifies all of this work to pull the motor out.

Well, at least it is out. The teardown should be easy since nothing will be in my way.

Anyone have a line on a decent performance cam?!

Soooo...

Attached Thumbnails Time to Rebuild Bottom End-20180105_152443.jpg   Time to Rebuild Bottom End-20180105_152550.jpg   Time to Rebuild Bottom End-20180105_155716.jpg   Time to Rebuild Bottom End-20180111_145626.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Since taking the above pics, I've pulled the crank, mic'd it.
Pulled the cam, mic'd it.
Mic'd the pistons.
Mic'd the cylinders.

Cam is worn so it and its lifters have to go.
Crank measures out as being ground by a prior Owner. Sigh... I'm taking it to a local machine shop tomorrow to see if it can be finished within book tolerances.

Pistons are fine. Piston wrist pins are fine. Rings show enough wear to warrant changing.

Cylinder Mic'd fine.

No cracks in the block.

Cam bearings were the best of the bunch, but still worn.

My 2,000 mile "old" standard rod bearings were fine except for 1 which was already worn to the copper. Crap!

Main bearings were toast.

Oil pump was busted, chain was loose, and front cover scored. Crap!

Heads are fine. Pushrods are fine. Connecting rods are fine. Cylinder liners are fine and show no signs of slipping.

Last edited by No Doubt; 01-11-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What's the best parts source (price and availability)?

Is there a full engine rebuild kit? Especially one without new pistons/liners?

What about for the front cover, oil pump, and chain?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, does anyone know what markings would be stamped onto ERR 1773 factory rod bearings to indicate/differentiate between Standard size, +.01, or +.02?

Previous rod bearings had B R G stamped on them?

Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM
TReK

I'm not as far along as you(haven't got the engine out yet), but I've got all the parts.
Lucky8. Best prices, and good quality.
I had already bought the timing chain(gears look new), push rods, rocker shafts.
I just got a front cover, all gaskets, crank, rod, and finished cam bearings. Basically everything but the cam(because they only sell stock cams), I got a Crower from Summitt.
There is a small bushing at the back of the crank, and they had that too.
I have a set of refurbished heads coming also.
I ordered standard bearings and rings, but I'll exchange them if I end up needing oversize once I measure everything.
I think I have a slipped liner(s), and that everything else should be ok.
I'm going to pin all 8 while I have the engine out, whether it shows signs of it or not. I got a new flex plate too. I'm replacing anything and everything that can tick.

And, the front cover comes with a new oil pump.
Lucky8 doesn't have a total rebuild kit that I know of, just the head gasket kit with all gaskets for the job and new bolts. But they do have everything you'll need for a full rebuild, and will hook you up with a great price on it all.
No one sells liners that I know of, unless they are aftermarket top hats.
If the bores look and measure good, I can't justify that kind of money in the engine. Especially considering a Land Rover Master Tech on this site pins them too.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 01-12-2018 at 07:40 AM.
No Doubt (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Since taking the above pics, I've pulled the crank, mic'd it.
Crank measures out as being ground by a prior Owner. Sigh... I'm taking it to a local machine shop tomorrow to see if it can be finished within book tolerances.
Ha! Local machine shop remeasured my crank.

I had botched the micrometer measurements. My crank is actually in tolerance!

That's the good news. Bad news is that it had a slightly rough surface (journal?) so it has to be polished or ground or some minor something to make everything perfectly smooth/round again.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Ha! Local machine shop remeasured my crank.

I had botched the micrometer measurements. My crank is actually in tolerance!

That's the good news. Bad news is that it had a slightly rough surface (journal?) so it has to be polished or ground or some minor something to make everything perfectly smooth/round again.
What quality of mic's are you using? If you dont have access to a mitutoyo, starrett, or B&S in .0001" incriments i wouldnt even bother trying to make any more measurements. for crank and rod tolerances you need to be able to rely on a minimum of .0005" accuracy. Not preaching just speaking from machining/engine building experience. being .001" off the mark can leave you really disappointed. double check rod and crank tolerances with plastigauge when reassembly time comes around.

good news about the crank though, they should be able to polish it out. There are oversize bearings available.

No Doubt (01-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Time to Rebuild Bottom End