Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Tiny wires in windshield; Defrost or Antenna? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/tiny-wires-windshield%3B-defrost-antenna-27477/)

JoMar 12-10-2009 03:06 PM

Tiny wires in windshield; Defrost or Antenna?

Those little less than hair diameter wires in the windshield are what?

My wife and I are debating whether or not they are defrosting wires because when the defroster is on it doesnt seem to defrost along those lines very much (unlike say the back window defrosters).

Another thought is its is the antenna.

Lay it on me :)

devildog01 12-10-2009 04:25 PM

You have a heated winshield.Pretty nice for those cold frosty mornings.

mwindth 12-10-2009 04:26 PM

Cold Weather Package; defroster.

JoMar 12-10-2009 05:40 PM

Cool (pun intended) we are getting 1 foot of snow today.

Its kind of annoying because there are probably 400-500 of those little lines.

devildog01 12-10-2009 05:45 PM

Just dont stare at them to much while your driving or you can get googly eyed and run into stuff you dont want to.

Disco Mike 12-10-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 152876)
Those little less than hair diameter wires in the windshield are what?

My wife and I are debating whether or not they are defrosting wires because when the defroster is on it doesnt seem to defrost along those lines very much (unlike say the back window defrosters).

Another thought is its is the antenna.

Lay it on me :)

Might want to sit down and read your owners manual cover to cover!!!

JoMar 12-10-2009 08:28 PM

I did! Just didnt see any description of super fine wires in the windshield. Must have missed that section.

JoMar 12-10-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by devildog01 (Post 152914)
Just dont stare at them to much while your driving or you can get googly eyed and run into stuff you dont want to.

Thats how I found them. It was a sunny day and I kept staring at the windshield instead of the road. If I am not careful I do look right at them while driving.

RedAustinIX 12-10-2009 11:48 PM

Those tiny wires are one of the many things I love about my Discovery. It's amazing how fast the windshield defogs when I hit the button. I think the LR sales guy said something about it being rated to melt an inch of ice in 5 minutes, or something like that. Most likely BS (living in Austin we've never had an inch of ice), but it's worked fast and effectively during our trips to Colorado.

Oh another thing -- I'm pretty sure the antenna wires are in the side glass in the rear.

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Bob2003Discovery 12-11-2009 08:53 PM

An inch of ice in five minutes is definitely BS. I have used it several times here in Chicago, and it will clear ice from the windshield faster than doing nothing, but not that fast! Really, it is best for taking off an actual coating of frost or 'demisting' the inside of the windscreen.