Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips, tricks and advice for upcoming repair please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tips, tricks and advice for upcoming repair please!

OK, so after the last mini-fiasco, the parts are in route and hopefully I will be able to do the repairs this weekend.
Parts coming: New radiator, water pump, drive belt and t-stat.
Additionally: Fresh Syntec, K&N 3001, Peak green 50/50, Water Wetter
So, short of buying Buzz, Mike and all the other helpful folks plane tickets to Dirty Jerzee to help me out, I figured I would ask for any general tips for this project. Granted, I have already looked through everything in Rave, looked at some write ups, etc. But, what I'm looking for is the "It will be a pain to do XXXX, but if you have a 10mm opened ended wrench and a wire hanger it will be easier!" I know it sounds silly, but I can think of 10 different things I have done recently "by the book" in which I had to figure out a new way, use a different tool or just plain wing it!
I'm really hoping this will be a straight forward job. I'm figuring the biggest pain will be the water pump and making sure the gasket is perfect, and that belt looks to be nice and confusing as well! I hope the radiator is not that much of a pain though.
Good news is, most of this stuff is newer anyway so nothing should be stuck in there too bad!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Read up on it, D2 radiator more complex IMHO to deal with than D1, but fewer hoses.
Also pix of water pump, keep bolts organized as some are various lengths.

Attached Thumbnails Tips, tricks and advice for upcoming repair please!-p1030594.jpg   Tips, tricks and advice for upcoming repair please!-p1030595.jpg   Tips, tricks and advice for upcoming repair please!-p1030597.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 rad.pdf (888.8 KB, 115 views)
water pump.pdf (776.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Great tip about the bolts Buzz...for sure they would have been in a pile. I will have a very OCD friend helping me out though, so I will leave him to the details :-)

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

- I will only comment on what I have done myself.

1. I would replace all hose clamps with the screw style hose clamps.

2. Match each bolt removed from your old water pump in the same hole on your new water pump. Bolt lengths are different, you can damage your block if you try to force to long of a screw, into the incorrect hole

3. Its easiest to drain the majority of your coolant by disconnecting the the lower hose on your radiator. (Passenger side)

4. Bleeding the coolant once filled back up works best if your front wheels are on incline ramps. You may have do it 2/3 times to let all the air escape.

5. The Serp belt can be easily removed by using the bolt on the front of tensioner pulley and pushing up as in tightening it, with a long wrench. This will relieve the spring pressure and you can slip the belt off. Take a picture of the belt routing, so you have a good reference.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

belt route on demand here. It might not be on correctly now, so a drawing would continue a problem. I had wrong belt route, fan clutch dead, and electric condenser fans wired to run backwards by previous owner..... plus the quantity of liquids injested by DIY mehanics, from Rd Bull to neighbor's home brew; coupled with lack of sleep, time change, six extra brownies woofed down at last break - you might make a mistake - but always deny it and demand proof!

Attached Files
d2 belt route.pdf (561.6 KB, 114 views)
Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I thought this was epic. I'm assuming the PO's mechanic drew a diagram under the fan shroud to remember what was where!
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTAzLTAwMTE4LmpwZw.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  144.1 KB

Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the water pump on my Disco a few months ago, I did as Boss said and put the bolts in the corresponding holes on the new pump. The hardest part was taking the fan off (lucky for me a friend had the tool I could borrow) It only took me about 45 minutes and I am far from a mechanic. The serp belt was also easy, I did as you did and drew it on a pice of paper which I forgot to take with me when I went to AutoZone to get my belt. I used the serp belt tool AutoZone had and it was easy as pie if you look at it. I did it right in the parking lot. The smooth pulleys run on the back of the belt and the grooves on the pulleys meet the grooved underside of the belt. Worst part was that I did it when the engine was hot.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Before you start, suggest "listen" with stick or mechanic's stethoscope to each thing the belt touches, other than the crank pulley. Then when belt is off, turn each item by hand, checking for rough spots, and wiggle.

If replacing belt, put old one in truck as a spare, with belt route drawn on a card with it. And if it you don't carry tools in the truck (why wouldn't you?) at least carry the wrench needed to change a belt on the side of the road - with the spare belt. I ran over some road trash once, it flipped up and caught in the belt and cut it and lower hose. Truck was towed, little town had to wait on parts to arrive,....

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

How did it go buddy?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dgi 07
How did it go buddy?
All the parts will not be here until tomorrow. Got the radiator to me first, but the rest of the stuff I think is coming in tomorrow. So, unfortunately, I likely won't be doing the repair for a few weeks as I'm away on biz tuesday-wednesday, and then leaving Friday morning for vacation. If by chance I get the parts today, I might give it a go tonight. Will let you all know though!

Quick Reply: Tips, tricks and advice for upcoming repair please!