Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Tips to Troublesoot Cylinder Misfire? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/tips-troublesoot-cylinder-misfire-43457/)

Bryan H 09-02-2011 04:43 PM

Tips to Troublesoot Cylinder Misfire?

I recently finished a head gasket job, and now I have a code p0304, cylinder #4 misfire.

If I pull out the plug and leave it connected to the plug wire while the engine cranks, I can see it spark. The plug comes out of the head wet and smelling like fuel. And the cylinder has 155 psi compression. Is there something else I should be checking?

I suppose it's possible I could have crossed plug wires on the coils, but I've done this about four times before, so I feel fairlyconfident I got it right. Plus, wouldn't that cause at least one more cylinder to misfire?

Suggestions?

Disco Mike 09-02-2011 05:23 PM

If you crossed a wire, you would have 2 mis-fire codes. Did you install new 8mm silicone wires and new plugs?

ralphobell 09-02-2011 06:21 PM

Make sure you have a good connection on the coil. If it is an old wire it could be broken in spots and when you bend it to check the spark you see it ignite causing you to believe you have spark. I would test with another wire. Swap the wires to the next cylinder and see if the misfire follows. If it does you most likely have a bad wire. If it doesn't move you might check to make sure the fuel injector is functioning.

Bryan H 09-02-2011 11:21 PM

The wires are magnecor 8 mm, less than 6 months old. So I think they're good. The plugs are bosch +4, about 2.5 years old. They were pretty dirty when they came out of another engine. However, I swapped cylinder 4 plug with another and there was no change.

Re: the injector, since the plug comes out wet, I know it's doing something.

I'm perplexed.

ralphobell 09-03-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan H (Post 266073)
The wires are magnecor 8 mm, less than 6 months old. So I think they're good. The plugs are bosch +4, about 2.5 years old. They were pretty dirty when they came out of another engine. However, I swapped cylinder 4 plug with another and there was no change.

Re: the injector, since the plug comes out wet, I know it's doing something.

I'm perplexed.

Did you swap the wire?

Bryan H 09-03-2011 09:13 AM

No. Haven't done that yet b/c that's more work! Guess that's my next step though. So even though wire will arc strongly if pulled from the plug with the engine running, you still think it could be bad? And again, these are basically new wires.

If I have to pull the upper intake, I'll probably swap the injector too for good measure.

Disco Mike 09-03-2011 09:19 AM

2 Ideas, 1, you have a cracked plug, or when removing the wires, you pulled the boot and tore the wire loose inside the connector.

ralphobell 09-03-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 266121)
2 Ideas, 1, you have a cracked plug, or when removing the wires, you pulled the boot and tore the wire loose inside the connector.

X2

That's kinda what I was meaning when I said "it could be broken in spots and when you bend it to check the spark you see it ignite causing you to believe you have spark."

Magnacor has been known to fail...like any other part, nothing is ever 100%.

Also the gas could be from a leaky fuel injector.

Try just swapping the plug ends with another cylinder and see if the misfire continues. Also are you clearing your codes before testing each time?