Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring Harness

Just when you thought we had beat this dead horse as much as possible I bring it back to life for more beating. Sorry.

My question is does anyone know of a kit for my D1 that goes directly from the factory plug behind the tail light to a 7-round RV style plug? I am trying to avoiding installing the 4-flat plug and adapting it the 7-round. Adapters mean more potential problem points. I have a trailer that has brakes on both axles so I will also be installing a brake controller and a charge line for the trailer battery and interior lights.

I have been looking all over the net and haven't found anything but the 4-flat kit yet.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Trailer Wiring Harness

This horse is dead, ground up and in your dogs food bowl.
There is no 7pin-round plug for a Disco.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 PM
TReK

I was pretty certain that was the answer I was going to get but wouldn't to make sure before I conceded defeat. Thanks Spike

Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rover Connection has a kit. http://roverconnection.com/
It is a Hella European 7 pin. Looks like round pins, but if flat is easily replaced by swapping the socketwith a round pin unit.
Here is a better view, for more money: http://landroverparts.us/LandRoverAc...erTrailer.html

Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: CCROVERSE01

It is a Hella European 7 pin. Looks like round pins, but if flat is easily replaced by swapping the socketwith a round pin unit.
Here is a better view, for more money: http://landroverparts.us/LandRoverAc...erTrailer.html
You can't just do that, the wiring of the european 7pin and an american 7pin is completely different. European doesn't have provisions for reverse, brake control or accessory 12v. European 7 pin also uses separate brake and turn signals, unlike the american combo standard light. Euro has a rear fog wire also. It's all detailed in RAVE.

It's impossible to have a plug in flat 7 connector to LR. the wires just aren't there. I have a flat5 for towing my boat with surge brakes. I tapped the lines behind the taillight to a hoppy converter, and then tapped the rr reverse light for the blue wire. To do a 7flat, you would need to do the same, plus a 12v to the battery, and a line for a brake controller to the dash area, if you used a controller.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Has anyone actually ordered anything from Rover Connection. It seems like they have some good deals and some very hard to find items (like the sunroof shade clip that I need). The website seems a little undeveloped, and the ordering system is very out of date.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM
TReK

I haven't ordered from them because the ordering system is so outdated. I want simple and quick and Roverconnection doesn't meet that requirement. Guess I just haven't got to the point where I have to have something that I can only get through them.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: souljad9

ORIGINAL: CCROVERSE01

It is a Hella European 7 pin. Looks like round pins, but if flat is easily replaced by swapping the socket with a round pin unit.
You can't just do that, the wiring of the european 7pin and an american 7pin is completely different. European doesn't have provisions for reverse, brake control or accessory 12v. European 7 pin also uses separate brake and turn signals, unlike the american combo standard light. Euro has a rear fog wire also. It's all detailed in RAVE.

It's impossible to have a plug in flat 7 connector to LR. the wires just aren't there. I have a flat5 for towing my boat with surge brakes. I tapped the lines behind the taillight to a hoppy converter, and then tapped the rr reverse light for the blue wire. To do a 7flat, you would need to do the same, plus a 12v to the battery, and a line for a brake controller to the dash area, if you used a controller.
To the best of my knowledge, the 7-pin connector can be wired for what ever is needed. The question is whether the "european 7 pin" uses the same flat pins that my trailer has or if it is the round pin style. I know that I can go to Uhaul or any trailer dealer and have my Rover wired to match my trailer and have the brake controller thrown in. I was just hoping for a simple plug and play set up that I could add a brake controller to and be done. I find it hard to believe that the "european" plug wouldn't have a pin for the signal from a brake controller considering even in Europe they use trailer brakes and controllers. Without brakes the Rover is only rated for about 1500 trailer load, don't remember the exact figure at the moment.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Mudding

I find it hard to believe that the "european" plug wouldn't have a pin for the signal from a brake controller considering even in Europe they use trailer brakes and controllers. Without brakes the Rover is only rated for about 1500 trailer load, don't remember the exact figure at the moment.
Per Rave:
Pin1: FOG LIGHTS
Pin2: EARTH
Pin3: RH DIRECTION INDICATORS/HAZARDS
Pin4: RH TAIL LIGHT
Pin5: BRAKE LIGHT
Pin6: LH DIRECTION INDICATORS/HAZARDS
Pin7: NO PLATE/ LH TAIL LIGHT

It's not that a Standard US 7 Pin RV socket can't be wired up, It's just that there is no plug and play solution, It's going to involve tapping some wires not in the factory trailer wiring.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the limey word for ground is earth right? btw is that pin out for a D1 and DII?

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring Harness